30 Gallon All-in-One

Stephen Zawacki

Hey yall my 24 gallon rimless starfire is open for fish.  It is heavy planted, with rocks, I have a question I don't know what to get.  I want to get a pair of something.  Also the one thing I was thinking is could I do a pair of altum angels, I heard that if they were the only thing they would be fine, but if not please leave reccomendations below.

Thx 

On 2/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hey yall my 24 gallon rimless starfire is open for fish.  It is heavy planted, with rocks, I have a question I don't know what to get.  I want to get a pair of something.  Also the one thing I was thinking is could I do a pair of altum angels, I heard that if they were the only thing they would be fine, but if not please leave reccomendations below.

Thx 

personally I don't think a 24 gallon is good for angels even if they are the only thing in there. I would look into other options that you might like before going with angels. There are a myriad of beautiful corydoras, small rainbowfish, tetras, honey gouramis, etc that would enjoy the space much more. Personally I would do a group of false-juili corydoras, some cardinal tetras, and a honey gourami or 3. Additionally your probably could do a clown pleco if you keep less honey gouramis.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok thx for your input is it, I just have a couple of questions is it because the tank is rimless, also it is a long tank with height.  I forgot to ask these questions also.

what questions do you have?

Rams could be fun. I've never kept them though. Are you really set on a pair. It seems a lot of time a pair of things can be aggressive but 3 or more is good. So like what about 3 rams? Rams are on my list for the future though because I think they look really cool as they swim. Someone with ram experience should chime in there.
As far as angels go it seems 29 is really the smallest you'd want if they are basically alone with maybe like a bottom feeder. The issue with tank size and angels is because they get so tall. 4-6 inches length isn't bad but they get like 8-10 tall so anything shy of 18-24 inches deep can get cramped for them, even alone. Usually when I see an angel recommendation or setup it's like a 40G with 6 of them or something like that

On 2/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok thx for your input is it, I just have a couple of questions is it because the tank is rimless, also it is a long tank with height.  I forgot to ask these questions also.

It’s because Altums can get huge. Here’s a pic from the internet for reference. 
8860FE88-195A-4286-812C-69862A2B966A.jpeg.33954925ecc96b818b2c9a6374b62bdc.jpeg

I think I’d go for some variety of dwarf cichlids. Ram, Apistogramma, Kribs etc.

It would be a good setup for dwarf cichlids. Unless you buy an established pair you'd need to buy a group of juveniles raise them up and let them pair off, At that point you may have to rehome some. Most apistogramma are harem breeders so you could have 1-2 male and 2-4 females. I would throw Bolivian rams in as well as the black, electric blue, gold and GBRs. They usually can be kept as a group of 2-3 males and 4-5 females. The GBRs and hybrids can usually be colony bred. Temp is important for all of them usually 80 + or so. I would put some hatchet fish with them and you'll never have to worry about predation on the fry.

The reason altums would not work is they get about a foot high counting their fins in their height as the pic @Patrick_Gindicated. In terms of length they can get 4-7 ". They can also be very hard on each other and if they are juveniles that can lead to a fair amount of violence as they head to sexual maturity. Minimum would be 40 g breeder, 45 high or 55 g would be better at the 4 foot length. 

• Like 1

I took a look at the tank dimensions online. Since it’s an all in one quite a bit of the volume is used by the filter. That’s good because you have room for a ton of filter media, but bad because you have less space for fish. If I’m doing the math correctly it’s about 14.5 gallons in the fish area of the tank. 
C6341F8C-3947-4ECD-B765-41C2A3A0AE19.jpeg.77629156edbea9819a5b2444953d5bc7.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey yall I got a free 30 gallon all in one rimless from a friend what I want to know is that large enough for a pair of angels I would most likely do breeding pair and that is it.  I already asked I have a 24 gallon starfire but those dimensions don't work, but this tank is bigger and longer, so I want to know if it is suitable for a pair of altumes.  I saw online the general consensus is yes but I want the fish experts to leave suggestions.  

On 2/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hey yall I got a free 30 gallon all in one rimless from a friend what I want to know is that large enough for a pair of angels I would most likely do breeding pair and that is it.  I already asked I have a 24 gallon starfire but those dimensions don't work, but this tank is bigger and longer, so I want to know if it is suitable for a pair of altumes.  I saw online the general consensus is yes but I want the fish experts to leave suggestions.  

Sounds like a great opportunity!  What are the dimensions?  There are varying dimensions among different brands.

An adult altum angelfish can easily get 6” long and 8” tall.  That’s 1/4 of a 24” long tank.  This tank isn’t longer or taller than the 26 you were asking about last time.  That doesn’t leave much swimming room.  Gallon wise, a 30 would be a minimum for an adult pair, but shape wise I don’t think that’s ideal.  Would it work?  Yes.  Is it really a good life long environment?  You already know the answer or you wouldn’t be asking if it’s OK, you would already be comfortable with the idea without asking the question.

I was planning to put a group of angels into a 46 gallon bowfront.  Figured I’d start with 6 or so younguns and remove everybody else after I got 2 pairs as long as nobody got into any major battles.  The more I thought about it the more doubts I had, the slower my progress on the project.  It just didn’t feel right to me to do that to the fish.  I got crazy lucky and a friend gave me a tank and stand that better fits my vision of the tank I want.  100 gallons works well for my plan to do 6-8 angelfish and I may, or may not, need to remove some.

@Stephen ZawackiYou need to ask yourself, “Does it feel right to put an adult pair of angelfish into this fairly short, shallow tank?”  If so, go for it.  If not, there are soooooooo many beautiful fish that will work extremely well in that size and shape of tank that would be far easier than doing 15 gallon water changes every 2-3 days in a college dorm room.

Are we still talking about your college dorm room tank?  Are you planning to breed this pair?  What are you going to do with the fry?  How are your live food cultures going?  You’ll certainly need them in top production for angelfish fry but you’ll have plenty of time to build them up while the angels grow up over the next year.  Will you be transporting the angelfish back and forth to home over breaks and during the summer?

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 4

Ok that's what I thought thx yall this is not my dorm tank I'm done with college, that is why I asked you guys I wanted to do the right thing for the fish first.  I'll look into a different option.  What would yall recocomend that I could do in a pair then ? I really like how a tank looks with a pair.  Also I am a person that always puts the fish first all of my tanks which are only two, but are understocked I ha r a 15gallon with 1 pair of apistos, then a 40 breeder with just 1 schoudini puffer.  I like understocked rather than overstocked.  Also just one more question I don't know much about angels is there like a dwarf species that would be a viable option also.

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

On 2/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok that's what I thought thx yall this is not my dorm tank I'm done with college, that is why I asked you guys I wanted to do the right thing for the fish first.  I'll look into a different option.  What would yall recocomend that I could do in a pair then ? I really like how a tank looks with a pair.  Also I am a person that always puts the fish first all of my tanks which are only two, but are understocked I ha r a 15gallon with 1 pair of apistos, then a 40 breeder with just 1 schoudini puffer.  I like understocked rather than overstocked.  Also just one more question I don't know much about angels is there like a dwarf species that would be a viable option also.

Congrats on being finished with college!!!  What’s your degree?  Seems like we talked about this once but I’m old and I’ve forgotten.

I think a 40 tall vs a 40 breeder would be amazing!  Or even a 29 gallon because it has good height for angels.  29’s are usually pretty easy to find and only take the shelf space of a 20 long.  A 46 gallon bowfront tank would be amazing for a pair with plenty of space for a school of tetras for habitat appropriate tank mates or you could find something else similar.  The bowfront style tanks have some extra height, typically, but you do tend to lose some length or depth as the trade off, but a 46 G is 36” long so still a really nice size for a pair, or even 2 pairs, of angels.

I’ve never heard of anybody trying for dwarf angels.  They usually try for bigger.  It would kind of make sense to breed smaller since that would make them accessible to more people, but it would be hard to guard against dwarfism.  Food for thought.