Newbie questions - water changes

delphine

I have some questions about water changes when it comes to dechlorinators. The bottles typically say to add before adding water to the tank but I have seen many filling their tank with water directly from the faucet with a gravel vac. So then when do you add it? And how do you know how much you are adding? 

I have also heard not to add too much. The measurements are typically so small anyway. How do I work this with my 5 gallon tank?

I know this is very basic but I just worry about messing up and then killing the fish.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:19 AM, delphine said:

I have some questions about water changes when it comes to dechlorinators. The bottles typically say to add before adding water to the tank but I have seen many filling their tank with water directly from the faucet with a gravel vac. So then when do you add it? And how do you know how much you are adding? 

I have also heard not to add too much. The measurements are typically so small anyway. How do I work this with my 5 gallon tank?

I know this is very basic but I just worry about messing up and then killing the fish.

With such a small tank, I would add new water to a bucket and add the dechlorinator while the bucket is filling.  I have buckets that are only ever used for fish stuff.  Many started life as kitty litter buckets (unscented litter, always, and very thoroughly rinsed).  Pre-mixing is safest, but you only have to mix for a few minutes.  Such a small tank, you don’t need to fill from a hose.  You can, but you don’t have to.  If you fill from a hose directly from a faucet, you should add the dechlorinator directly to the tank and let refilling swirl it around and mix it.

Personally, I always add a little extra since I never know when our water company is going to add extra chlorine/chloramine to shock the system.  When you premix, you can dose for the amount of water you put back in the tank.   If you add water directly to the tank, they recommend you dose for the actual tank volume since it will get dispersed and diluted before contacting the chemicals it’s meant to neutralize.

• Like 2