Amano Shrimp

Kurt Brutting

I am starting to get really interested in shrimp. I am thinking about Amano Shrimp, is that a good choice for a beginner? I watched a few videos and read some articles. My snails are doing very well I am hoping shrimp will thrive in the same water conditions. My LFS’s don’t carry shrimp, can anyone recommend a good company that will ship. 

Amano shrimp are pretty cool--I will say that I got 4 or 5 from my lfs a couple years ago and they all disappeared.  When I rearranged that tank a couple months ago, poof!  There was one!  No idea what happened to the others, but we call this one "the giant shrimp" because he's about 6 times the size of the neocardina in the tank.  It's always fun to see him come out and eat.  If you're interested in shrimp I'd definitely give them a try, and Aquahuna is a good source.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:17 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Amano shrimp are great and seem pretty hardy as shrimp go. They won't be able to reproduce in freshwater - the females will carry eggs, and they will hatch, but the babies need brackish water to survive.

Came here to say this.  Amanos are also extremely good at hiding since they are mostly transparent.  I’ve put 8 into my 100 gallon nanofish tank and I was shocked to see 4 at the same time the other day.  That’s the most I’ve seen at one time since I added the last group.  I rarely see more than one at a time and often don’t see any, even after 20 minutes or more of intensive observation of the tank.

Cherry shrimp of whatever color (they’re all Neocaridinia davidi) are a decent choice for beginners, too, but still need a fairly narrow set of water parameters compared to Amanos.  Cherries will breed for you under the right conditions but depending on tank mates you may, or may not, have enough survive to replace inevitable losses.

• Like 3

I would get some neo's from flip aquatic I've found neo's to be pretty hardy.  When I first got into shrimp keeping the internet had me terrified.. I just kept reading how you had to be super particular with your water parameters and me being me I love a good challenge  have come to find thats its the complete opposite.  Flip aquatics on YouTube or marks shrimp tanks. and even Aquarium Co-op has a few videos on shrimp.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, KaitieG said:

Amano shrimp are pretty cool--I will say that I got 4 or 5 from my lfs a couple years ago and they all disappeared.  When I rearranged that tank a couple months ago, poof!  There was one!  No idea what happened to the others....

Amanos can be jumpers and climbers. Sometimes they escape and are never to be seen again. Sometimes, if they die in a hidden spot, they'll get eaten by the other shrimp and bottom feeders.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:07 PM, lefty o said:

most shrimp deal well with the cold too. 

I can testify to that.  I have a couple tubs outside that had guppies and shrimp last summer.  I pulled the guppies out when it started getting cooler.  It was colder than usual here the last few days, and the tubs were iced over for at least two days.

It warmed up today, and the ice melted.  Shrimp were swimming around like it was no big deal.

• Like 2

I love my amanos! They were super shy when they were small. I had purchased 6 to go into my 29 gallon, drip acclimated, and dropped them in... then didn't see them for over a month. One day they popped out full grown and now they're brazen little bandits. They're so much fun to watch! Always busy little creatures picking through the plants and the substrate, and they're definitely not afraid of the fish in the tank.