Whats best/appropriate for cleaning these hang ons?

2absolute2purity2

I have the Penn-Plax- Cascade 300, and a Top Fin PF75, hang on back filters for a 75 gal freshwater w only 1 fish.
1 Full grown comet goldfish thats 10 inches long. Since my kind of goldfish is large and produces more waste,
how often do i clean them? How do you recommend cleaning them? want to survey to see whats most common and also new ideas that i might've not thought of.
Also is it just recommended to clean by rising in old tank water or de-chlorinated water?
Are you supposed to replace cartridges every 2 weeks with brand new ones also? or do u think it loses bacteria too quick?

id suggest you hit up the co-op's video's and find the one on hot rodding your hang on back filter. replacing filter cartridges will get expensive, and the carbon the put in them isnt a neccessity.  try some porus filter sponge in the filter instead of a cartridge. carbon is great, but it has its time and place.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, lefty o said:

id suggest you hit up the co-op's video's and find the one on hot rodding your hang on back filter. replacing filter cartridges will get expensive, and the carbon the put in them isnt a neccessity.  try some porus filter sponge in the filter instead of a cartridge. carbon is great, but it has its time and place.

Agree with this. If cartridge more convenient rinse in either of those water choices and reinstall. Keep doing this until cartridge degraded then can change to new cartridge. I only clean filters when flow decreased.

I use old tank water. I only clean when the flow slows to far that brown gunk has TONS of beneficial bacteria. Some not so great too but I want them in the filter eating gunk vs roaming my tank looking for food. Why leave an all you can eat buffet. Those cartridges are expensive and a waste of money. Carbon fills in days then works no better than gravel. Replace it with 30 ppi foam for maximum bacteria housing. I only use it in all my tanks and I have crystal clear pristine sparkling water that makes me thirsty looking at it. My tanks are all very healthy and I don’t medicate only qt new fish.  Aqua neat matten foam on Amazon is reasonably price and never needs replaced just squeeze out a bit in tank water when flow slows. Here is a good video 

• Like 1