Columnaris? Kanaplex with otos, nerite, and vals?

Jen777

10G Betta tank with suspected columnaris.  Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think about the diagnosis!

Onset: 6 days ago, white patch behind his head suddenly appeared.  Hasn’t seemed to get worse or better.  He is more lethargic than normal, but is still eating and occasionally swimming around the tank (not just up for air).  Fin rot seems slightly better now but is still severe compared to what he had before this started.

Current treatment:  water change and gravel vac immediately and again yesterday; darkness in the tank for four days and now limited lighting, Ich-X (5mL), and Maracyn (1 packet).  Left the Ich-X and Maracyn to sit for three days, did a 30% water change and re-treated with both yesterday. (Yes, I did a water change but wasted a couple days trying to figure out what it was before medicating!)

Thinking of treating with kanaplex, but have qualms because it’s a heavily planted tank, with a nerite and otos in it that might also suffer or die.  Thoughts?

This is following a bout of BGA from lack of nutrients, and fin rot from the nasty BGA tank conditions until I got it figured out, killed, and now mostly cleaned up (there’s probably a random dead piece in the gravel).  

Previous fin rot and BGA were treated with two rounds of maracyn two weeks apart, one round of Paracleanse, big water changes and plant prunings, and more consistent ferts.  Tank is recovering and looking much better, but betta’s fin rot is worse again and now he has a big white-tinged patch.  He does have the marble gene, and he is just over a year old (he’s been with me a year and was a medium-sized juvie when I bought him).  This appeared very suddenly about 6 days ago, more than a week after the last rasbora death.  

After researching, I found that kanaplex was probably my best bet, but I don’t want to lose my corkscrew vals or my other plants, or my otos, or my nerite, and seachem says it is hard on inverts and plants and some scaleless fish.  On other forums, people say most of their nerites survived, and all their plants survived, but they didn’t have vals (which can be more sensitive).  Nobody said anything about otos.

Parameters:

pH: 7.8 Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 10

Temp: 79.5F

KH was high last time I checked it, but I haven’t checked it in a while because it remained steady for a long time and I do regular water changes with tap water and it is fairly hard tap water.  I always have to double-dose my Prime because of the chloramines present in my tap water.  

Other tank inhabitants:  3 otos, one zebra nerite, 2 emerald-eye rasboras

(2/4 rasboras died suddenly after I added the otos two weeks ago; no symptoms…betta may have reacted to more stock being added to his happy equilibrium and killed them…or maybe columnaris killed them due to their own stress after the otos).  

If this was columnaris, wouldn’t the betta most likely be dead already?  Or noticeably worse?  Wouldn’t the other rasboras or the otos be showing signs of it too? (They’re not, even though I know the rasboras are stressed from losing their school from the way they hang out with their reflections and zip around.)

1B19B9F4-B76E-4BCC-B860-F265CA366030.jpeg

image.jpg

F2B7679B-59B2-414B-AA2D-D548C923737C.jpeg

0D2E6A41-DD0B-4D71-AD66-BE0734F1C6C6.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9D627673-C76C-45B5-A77B-688D5F2484A2.jpeg