Shrimp and Snail Sunday - Show Off Your Invertebrates!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aquariums hold many more living things than fish. What is in your tank? I caught this grass shrimp last week in a ditch while collecting banana plants.

Posted Images

Breakfast time!

I posted these shrimpies a few times, but really, it's the only interesting thing I got going on crustacean-wise.

I really admire everyone else's great macro shots. Alas, photography has never been one of my talents.

IMG_6142.jpg.9de04799ad084b39e3955f1e4f5505ff.jpg

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Wow! What a crowd. It looks like a Christmas riot with the red, white and green.

Yeah, my kid either calls them 'Santa shrimp, or 'candy cane shrimp'.

I absolutely love the look of crystal reds, especially against the green. It's what drew me to them. I keep this tank next to a recliner I relax in at the end of the day, and it's a nice peaceful thing to look at.

But if I had to do it over again, I'd go neocaradina -- cherry or blue dream -- and not cause they are easier, but because I could thin the herd by moving excess adult shrimp to other tanks. 

The caradina are so specialized in terms of parameters, that I have no where to move the crowd now that it's getting to the point at which it needs to be thinned. I guess I could make a soft-water tank with some tetras etc. and try them there, but I'd just like to be able transfer them to something existing without needing to set up another specialized environment. 

I think in a few months I might see if I can offer some these up on CL locally. I don't see many LFS's near me carrying these, so I don't imagine they sell them (or want to trade for some). All I see in stores is neo's, but that's probably because they are more bullet proof for the average shopper.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

Just a tote of "pest" snails!

20201122_091647.jpg.bf6a61798020b54e2a0042c8b9d32ce8.jpg

Its a 2 gallon tote that I use rain water in. I my "tap" water is so hard it could break rock and some of the plants I've bought are not liking it. So I started collecting rain water (out here in MI it tends to be about 6.5-6.8 ph and only 2-3° of gH and kH) to keep them in. I thought all of the snails in the tank the plants came out of had been taken care of by the Julie, but clearly I was wrong!

As they grow out I plan on distributing them around to the aquariums around the house. Eventually, once I have my paludarium built, I plan on using a 20 I have one of my Julies in (he will be going into the paludarium) for the rain water tank. When I do that I'll be investing in some shrimp

• Like 1