Blackworm Tower

On 2/4/2022 at 5:10 AM, Atitagain said:

Couple questions. Is this a feeding tower or are they growing out? Is that gravel inside the tower? Did you initially seed the worms from the top or is this something they climbed?

would be very interested to read a journal on this.

One is filled with pea gravel and the other two with lava rock. They climb into the towers on their own. I put an algae wage on top of one tower but it hasn't seemed to attracted more worms than the others. This is only my 2nd week with black worms and I only had the tower idea last week so not much experience here.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2022 at 9:18 AM, Odd Duck said:

Seems like this could serve as a refugium for scuds, too.  Where did you get this mesh?  Is it coarse plastic screen?  Following along.

There are definitely scuds hanging out in there. I think the guy I got the plastic mesh from bought it from US Plastics Corporation. But they might only sell in bulk, I'm not sure.

The only rigid screen I've seen locally with gaps this small is garden drainage screen used for flower pots and plastic mesh from the craft store. Plastic chicken wire is close but might be too big for pea gravel.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:59 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Would you keep them in their own tank or could this tower live in the main tank with pea puffers? Looking forward to the journal! 😍  My blackworms are ready to go condo!

I have them in a tank with daphnia and scuds and no fish. I'm guessing if you put one of these in a puffer tank the worms would all hide deep in the tower. But over time, if they reproduce, they might push each other out for the fish to find. That's an interesting idea to try out.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:27 PM, modified lung said:

There are definitely scuds hanging out in there. I think the guy I got the plastic mesh from bought it from US Plastics Corporation. But they might only sell in bulk, I'm not sure.

The only rigid screen I've seen locally with gaps this small is garden drainage screen used for flower pots and plastic mesh from the craft store. Plastic chicken wire is close but might be too big for pea gravel.

I have them in a tank with daphnia and scuds and no fish. I'm guessing if you put one of these in a puffer tank the worms would all hide deep in the tower. But over time, if they reproduce, they might push each other out for the fish to find. That's an interesting idea to try out.

I have never used these fiber glass grilling mats but they might possibly work. I believe I saw them used by FishEZ in the video below.

https://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Grill-Mesh-Mat-15-75x13inches/dp/B073XD9W9D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=Q6XHSE6VSKFE&keywords=fiberglass+grill+mat&qid=1644003140&sprefix=Grill+fiberg%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-3 

On 2/4/2022 at 11:59 AM, eatyourpeas said:

My blackworms are ready to go condo!

🤣😂🤣😂

that’s awesome!

On 2/4/2022 at 2:59 PM, Dancing Matt said:

I am definitely waiting for the journal because I have no idea what is going on but am very interested.

So this⬆️