Holes in the leaves of my plants

Ariel S

Hello everyone! Looking for some plant advice. 2 tanks with issues. I have holes in some of my plant leaves. Amazon sword in one tank and Java Fern in another. I’ve read that it could be potassium? Or lighting? The java fern leaves are worse. They look like they are being torn apart. 

I use easy green and root tabs (for the sword) and have Fluval 3.0 lights. Both are 29 gallon aquariums. 

Neither plant is new. Had them both for about 1 year. 

9C017E5C-CDB1-4091-BC89-26E7804C1BCE.jpeg

0022E62D-560D-4466-A592-5ED6F0E9D221.jpeg

Edited by Ariel S

Yes, the fish have remained uninterested in the plants unless they decided to start eating them for fun. The amazon sword has an apisto, glass blood fin tetras, kuhli loaches, and some ramshorn snails that snuck in. 

the java fern has a betta, endlers livebearer, corys, and some more sneaky ramshorns.

thank you for your response! 

Edited by Ariel S

• Administrators

How often are you replacing the root tabs? Swords can get to the point where they are needing like 10 a month as they get big. Also make sure you have 20ppm nitrates in your tank from easy green. As you have more plant mass they eat it faster.

Cory,

I’ve been adding 2 root tabs once a week for a few months now. Maybe I’ll need to step it up. Do the swords uptake any nutrients from the liquid easy green ferts? Or only tabs? 

the java fern is in is only 1 of 2 plants in the tank and I’ve been dosing Easy green weekly. It is right next to my heater because initially when the plant was bigger it was hiding my heater, but has since gotten smaller. Could the heater be the issue? It’s set on 79. Tank thermometer typically shows 77-79.

thank you,