Sub-alpine Creek biotope

On 2/26/2022 at 11:24 AM, Odd Duck said:

Finally catching up on this and watched through the whole video.  Loving that winter heath!  Plus maidenhair ferns have always been some of my favorites.  I’m not sure what species that is, yet, looks like a baby.  Maybe Five Finger Maidenhair, AKA Aleutian Maidenhair - Adiantum aleuticum?

I’m a bit obsessed with funky mosses and your Lantern moss fits that bill for me.  Do you know what species it is?  Do you think it might transition to immerse?  It’s beautiful!

Can’t wait to see fish enjoying the current.

You caught me I threw away the label before reading it on the maidenhair. I’m pretty sure it’s five-finger. 🙃

The lantern moss is Rhizomnium magnifolium and is not doing too hot. Granted I found it in a dry stream bed so it was not doing great from the start. I however have true bog moss Aulacomnium growing out of the dying moss patch so hopefully that takes hold. 

Nothing much to report here. I had one of the larger isopods die on me. Probably the one that appeared to be molting. The others seem quite healthy and happy. I catch them right as I turn the light on before they disappear into the log and under the plants. 

Water test this morning:

5ppm nitrate

0ppm nitrite

75ppm GH

60ppm KH

7.0 pH

water temp stabilized at 70.2-70.5F

I am not doing any water changes at the moment other than replacing evaporate 

• Like 3

One of the smaller isopods is carrying an egg case. I dislodged her from under the rock by accident while pouring in new water. Exciting stuff! I caught another grazing on the long algae in the waterfall but by time lights were on he jumped down into the java fern tangle

FAB2B15A-D96E-430C-A51C-44E324E21176.jpeg.1f6b592f461dd7a6a40d5a5b91ec0d27.jpeg

Not easy to make out with white rocks. And she immediately went back into hiding 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I found the culprit! This male who was the one hanging out in the waterfall this morning is the sexual deviant! Caught in the act with another female pinned underneath. I thought he had too many legs at first glance!

08DA18FE-4A03-4DDC-9242-F9F51CF7E8A5.jpeg.00a8bf6c617e62abe54662e1e792515e.jpeg

@eatyourpeas I haven’t forgot about the spider friend either she makes herself known but I cannot for the life of me find her. I saw a rather large mite the other day I thought was her. The needle dangling from a thread of silk is what I’m trying to capture. 

D1F287F8-B02E-49D2-A005-4A455A7AD803.jpeg.bcc9c0d7910c9223b8bdff596a41b5ad.jpeg

• Like 2

Little threads of spider silk are magical! I love spotting them when they catch dew and sunlight. Your little friend is there, and that is wonderful to know.

Also looks like you are going to have my gammarus cousins in your tank! They are so funny when they are "at it", and the female just goes around holding the little boy in her many arms. 🙃

On 3/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Looks like staghorn to me.  Related.  Another lotic FW red algae species.  Has a bit more of an unkempt quality to my eyes as opposed to BBA. 

I think you might be right, wishful thinking on my part. But all algae is welcome in this tank! I just need it to start carpeting the rocks, not the plants.

• Haha 2

So the lantern moss I am learning does not like direct flow, but instead likes to attach to damp wood. Luckily I broke a few pieces off and they are thriving in the shade! The true bogmoss will take over this creek along with a dandelion? Not good with plants this plant grows everywhere around here in the ravine and for now I’m just letting it hang out.

84A196CC-85B9-4A61-B33F-0E158055FFA1.jpeg.13385d5a38e186ebb06e67cf7ad89c89.jpeg

The heath is growing to the light which left a dead patch in the back. I’m told I should not prune it and just let it die back. If I prune too aggressively the whole plant will die. 
CFC21A38-FB7A-4882-A00C-48C4E65B548E.jpeg.4c5a1cdef2ee5d111812f84bd79daa4c.jpeg

the true bogmoss doing well

EE8C89E6-7D74-4325-BACD-22225C59EC73.jpeg.c0a2f572d4553fc9ad43d3d02d8920d2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 3/16/2022 at 5:38 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Help me out here.  When I think "bogmoss" I think Sphagnum species, which that doesn't look like from the photos.  What moss is that?

I’m not very good with plant species I’m just quoting my field guide Aulacomnium is considered a bogmoss genus. I’m not confident enough in my I.D skills to go to species on this one.

I say true bogmoss because the Mayaca fluviatilis common name is creek bog moss, despite being an angiosperm. Common names be damned…

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I’m just quoting my field guide Aulacomnium

Oh, Aulacomnium.  Interesting!  I think of those as thread/yarn mosses.  I find them in seeps, and fens, but not in bogs, which are quite acidic here.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Common names be damned…

Huzzah!  🥳 

Whatever it is commonly called, it's a very nice moss!  Not as nice as my favorite moss in the entire world, Hypopterygium arbuscula.  But I'd had a devil of time cultivating that one.  I really like the structure on yours.  It has really nice promise for some cool growth! 

On 3/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Hypopterygium arbuscula.  But I'd had a devil of time cultivating that one.  

I feel like I’ve seen moss like this when I visit the oceanic side of the west coast where is it’s native range? It is also very beautiful! 

Mosses are one of my absolute favorites but I couldn’t tell you which is my favorite. Might be because I don’t know most of their names 😋

On 3/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

I feel like I’ve seen moss like this when I visit the oceanic side of the west coast where is it’s native range?

That moss is endemic to the Valdivian Rainforest of south-central Chile.  A climate not unlike where you are, though probably closer to the CA/OR border in terms of winter cold.  But, no, that one doesn't grow near you - unless some has escaped and become naturalized and I've not heard about it.  Which could be, I suppose.  🤷‍♂️

Possibly the nearest thing to that around you would be Climacium dendroides.  I encountered that one in lawns even on the coast side of the Olympic Peninsula.  It's pretty cool too, but doesn't get the full umbrella of Hypopterygium arbuscula (which I just found out when I went to go make sure I spelled it properly, might now be a syn. of the new designation Arbusculohypopterygium arbuscula).  Oh mosses... 

Now that I’ve had my coffee it doesn’t appear any of this genus Hypopterygium grow near me but definitely in climatic areas similar to ours, at least on the oceanic side. Perhaps there is a genus of mosses here that has a similar grow pattern. Next time I am in Newport or Astoria I will have to take my moss book with me and my brother-future botanist to see what I can find.

On 3/17/2022 at 8:47 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Arbusculohypopterygium arbuscula).  

Sometimes I feel like someone should revoke our right to name things, this might be the example I use in court.

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:55 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

my brother-future botanist

That's a convenient resource!!!

On 3/17/2022 at 10:55 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Sometimes I feel like someone should revoke our right to name things, this might be the example I use in court.

I will say though that people naming mosses didn't exactly get first crack at the best names.  I feel like there are many conversations that go something like:

"Hey this moss has a sheen to it.  Like iridescence.  Let's call it rainbow moss!  What was the Greek goddess of rainbows?"

"Iris"

"🤬" <--  Which means "drats, foiled again" kids.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:20 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Not as nice as my favorite moss in the entire world, Hypopterygium arbuscula.  But I'd had a devil of time cultivating that one. 

Just great!  Now I have a new moss that I HAVE to find and learn how to grow!  How am I supposed to keep up with all this stuff?  I’ve got hummingbird tetras, which I didn’t know existed 6 months ago.  I’m getting my Betta persephone next Mon or Tue, which I have likely run across previously but didn’t think to focus on until about 6 months ago.  I’ve got like 10 different aquatic mosses.  And now I MUST  have this terrestrial moss!

Y’all are a bunch of enablers, is what you are!  Listing binomials I’ve never heard of so I have to go search and it’s a moss that grows in an umbrella with “flowers” growing from the center?  Are you kidding me?!?

Just so the rest of you can go, “Oooooh, aaaah”, here’s a pic I just saved from my search so I won’t forget to look.

607FA824-F68B-4C77-97E0-918229A91487.jpeg

• Haha 3

I’m wondering if I can grow it as an emergent with the rhizoids in the water?  I’ve got part of the base of my wood very close to the surface of the water in my soon to be angelfish tank.  Maybe I can grow it on that?  Nobody will know it’s there but me, but, well, . . . . I’ll know.  Probably too warm there.  😢