Lucky bamboo Vs Hornwort

Hi folks,

Currently have hornwort floating which as you know is an awesome nitrate cleaner but it is a decent amount of work to prevent it blocking too much light for the other plants

My tank has corner cutouts for canister filter piping and I'm wondering if a couple of pieces of lucky bamboo in each cutout will have a similar effect on nitrate?

Thanks @Guppysnail very useful, I'm thinking now I won't need that many stalks in my 65 gallon community tank

On 1/31/2022 at 10:02 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I have found turnips gobble nitrates very fast. Here is a photo of a turnip in an HOB and a floating turnip, "The SS Turnip" float is clear, and the outriggers are clear shipping pillows. Not for the display tank, but if you put it in overnight, your nitrates will drop a lot.

SS Turnip scaled.jpg

HOB Turnip II scaled.jpg

Now there's something I would never have thought of.

Not sure I can convince my better half of the aesthetics tho 😁

• Like 1

@Mr GumbyKeep them in a well lit hidden bucket while enjoying the tank, then add them at bed time. They are just from the veggie department at the store. They don't like salt. I lost my first one when I added some salt to a tank. The scuds are enjoying it now.

I bet your better half would let you float some flower bulbs for spring. Daffodils are poisonous, which is why you see them growing in places long after the house that they accompanied has been long gone.  You would have to find flowers that wouldn't hurt fish if they eat the roots. A good florist might even be able to recommend a cut flower that is long lasting, like a carnations, they are edible if grown organically. I wonder if forsythia branches are save for fish? All you need to do to force they is bring them inside and put them in water. The bright yellow flowers are hiding in the buds now. Very cheery in February. If they root, you could plant them in the spring.

• Love 1

16437806384154048841048182401428.jpg.d52088eb811778665b8459471c9d372d.jpg

Would they be opposed to rooting roses?

I learned about using the egg crate light filter as a plant holder for pothos and lucky bamboo, and stuck a rose stem in right before my surgery end of November. 

Snails kept the end in water (with 2 leaf nodes under water, leaf stems removed) clean, and once the roots got established the leaves started growing in. 

• Like 1

I've found lucky bamboo to grow kinda slow for me. As a result I've always assumed it to be on the lower end of nitrate gobbling. Veggies are for sure nitrate hogs though. I do wonder what kind of light you guys have for your turnips. It was always my understanding that vegetables need lots of direct bright sunlight. The only veggie I tried was a tomato plant. It kinda etiolated to death, because my lights weren't enough for it 😞

On 2/2/2022 at 7:19 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

I've found lucky bamboo to grow kinda slow for me. As a result I've always assumed it to be on the lower end of nitrate gobbling. Veggies are for sure nitrate hogs though. I do wonder what kind of light you guys have for your turnips. It was always my understanding that vegetables need lots of direct bright sunlight. The only veggie I tried was a tomato plant. It kinda etiolated to death, because my lights weren't enough for it 😞

I have 2 shoplights from Costco, for most of my nano tanks, and for the 4' in my spouse's room there's another cheap LED shoplight, and a single fluorescent tube bulb that offers more red spectrum lighting. 

My Walstad has a regular, programmable AquaSky (not the plant grow option from Fluval), and adding an hour of red lights at night definitely boosted plant growth. 

So, for 13 tanks I have 3 LED shoplights, one fluorescent 'grow tube', one Fluval Aquasky on a 10 gallon, and a couple of plain desk lamps.

Plants grow under bright light, it doesn't have to be expensive or fancy.