Feeding guidelines for large goldfish

Lifeisgood

So my goldfish beg me for food whenever I enter the room.  They are getting so big now I am beginning to wonder how much food is enough for them throughout the day?

I give them each a significant pinch of quality goldfish pellets and usually an amount of green beans or duckweed if I have it, and later on some frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms.

But since they like to graze so much—they are eating the floating hornwort, which they generally don’t like to eat.

Anyone have a good guideline as to volume of veggies I should be putting in there for them? 

I have three fancy goldfish all of which have bodies the size of my clenched fist (excluding their fins).

Goldfish will always want more so stay strong if they are growing you are feeding plenty. 

I'd give them less frozen food but I'm frugal and see it as treat food unless you're conditioning them to breed. It also makes more cleaning. Maybe drop that to a couple of times a week. I found mine didn't care what I fed them as long as they got something twice a day. They mainly got flake and wafers .

I didn't do fasting days though they would trash the tank if I missed a feed.

• Thanks 1

I think this is why goldfish keepers/breeders often raise tanks of duck weed is it keeps them regular, allows them to deal with their natural grazing instinct and makes the cutest neon green poops you've ever seen. On the other hand then all your tanks will have duckweed. This will be a real test on how much you love your goldfish!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you want to know if your feeding your goldfish the correct amount, look at thier poop.  If your overfeeding, the poop will be long, solid, and hanging down from the fish.  If your underfeeding then the poop could be stringy and clear/white.  When your feeding the correct anount, their poop will be the same color as their food, firm and break off in small pieces.

Another rule of thumb that I use is to feed them a couple of mouthfuls each meal.  I feed Repashy Super Gold as my main feed and I cut it into bite size chunks that the fish can get entirely in their mouths in one bite.  I give them a few minutes to chew it up and then feed them another bite.

StanF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1