Water change philosophy

zayackylepga

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but if a tank is balanced, what good are water changes? If after testing, parameters are stable and in line with where they are meant to be for healthy plants, should water changes still be done? What does it replace other than nitrates? Water quality isn’t the best here in South Jersey, so wondering if I should just be periodically topping of with RO water or something. Just curious on everyone’s thoughts. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am trying to move to zero water changes because I’m also in Jersey and dislike the chloramines! But my water is actually really good except it’s low in KH but I buffer with coral , I would just caution that there are many elements in the tank we do not test for, so sometimes water changes could still be beneficial for adding, or reducing something in the unknowns, but if you get a plant load high enough, I think it would truly eliminate the need like Charles from goliad farms, although in that case he has the benefit of being outside, in the sun, with tons of natural processes happening which is very difficult to replicate indoors, I do have one tank that has had zero water changes since June, going strong. 

@Streetwise is the resident expert in no water change systems, I have been meaning to pick his brain but haven’t had the chance yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a very good question. Not silly at all. It has been asked and answered before on the FORUM, if I recall, with varying perspectives offered.

It is possible, with a deep and / or carefully arranged substrate to set up a no-water-change environment. The store Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco, CA was made famous as featuring tanks with "no water changes for 25 years" by Cory's visit in this video:

You may also want to really dig into the dirted tank / Walstadt Method approach for planted tanks. No water changes, no CO2, etc. Here's a YouTuber talking through a small set up:

If you heavily stock your tanks, you may find that your plants just can't keep up with the Nitrate. But if you're "balanced" as you describe your tank(s) currently, you're probably not going to face any major problems in the short run.

I've found that if I leave tanks go for too long without a water change, the chemistry just crashes one way or another. Something will spike to compensate . . . chain reactions . . . fish die.

Since I lean more into the breeding side, I content myself with achieving little feats like keeping Discus in a 55 gal with once weekly water changes and just sponge filtration:

AB1C5A1E-D9AC-49A3-B2B1-74B10236D599.jpeg.1a6660324ccdbf2a9c1bc3aa95cd782c.jpeg

They have pretty sensitive mucus on their sides that tends to get infected if the water quality gets poor. I don't mind a once weekly water change and sponge squeezing every few weeks. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:38 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I am trying to move to zero water changes because I’m also in Jersey and dislike the chloramines! But my water is actually really good except it’s low in KH but I buffer with coral , I would just caution that there are many elements in the tank we do not test for, so sometimes water changes could still be beneficial for adding, or reducing something in the unknowns, but if you get a plant load high enough, I think it would truly eliminate the need like Charles from goliad farms, although in that case he has the benefit of being outside, in the sun, with tons of natural processes happening which is very difficult to replicate indoors, I do have one tank that has had zero water changes since June, going strong. 

@Streetwise is the resident expert in no water change systems, I have been meaning to pick his brain but haven’t had the chance yet. 

Thanks for the input, with this water quality I don’t really see any benefit of taking out all the fertilizers by doing a water change, only to replace them later. Maybe if the water change was strictly RO water or something?

• Thanks 1

Hi @zayackylepga! I'm in South Jersey, too. I water change weekly because it's just what I'm accustomed to doing, and it makes me feel more at ease. I like 'resetting' the fertilizers and organics once per week and starting fresh, and my tanks don't seem to be suffering for it.

The water in my municipality is from the deep well aquifers, but we draw from a couple of different ones throughout the year; currently, we have a 'happy' mix of highly alkaline, low general hardness water. I've been adding wondershells to my tanks to maintain a mid level of hardness (around 6 to 7 dgh) until we switch back to harder water later in the year. My fish have been doing well with this system.

I don't think it's totally necessary to top off with RO water unless there's something in your municipality's water system that really worries you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@zayackylepga @laritheloud @GardenStateGoldfish Jersey moment:

Am I right that there is no food loyalty like East Coast food loyalty? Have you ever traveled ways out of state and found that no one really knows how to make proper Pizza? I once even refused to rat out a hoagie shop where I got food poisoning because I knew how devastated I would be if they ever got in trouble. (I told the manager privately later)

Just sayin . . . 

• Haha 5

On 1/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, Fish Folk said:

Am I right that there is no food loyalty like East Coast food loyalty? Have you ever traveled ways out of state and found that no one really knows how to make proper Pizza? I once even refused to rat out a hoagie shop where I got food poisoning because I knew how devastated I would be if they ever got in trouble. (I told the manager privately later)

Just sayin . . . 

Lived in Pittsburgh for school for 5 years. No one out there knew how to make a proper cheesesteak, pizza, or hoagie. It was like heaven to get a real Italian hoagie again from my favorite joint. 100% Philly area/South Jersey through and through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

For me it every tank is different and since it’s a hobby for me I like to try things and that leads to differentthanks and conditions. I have some tanks that I change water every week and one it has been two years. I tend to think if you are happy with what you have and the fish are happy is the grass greener. I don’t have that answer or all my tanks would be the same. If you don’t change water often I have found that any changes you do seem to make it a bigger deal. The tank I do nothing to is great as long as I do everything the same all the time. If I add fish or light times then I have to watch it more carefully.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tend to change every 3 weeks or so, though like you, my tank parameters are pretty rock-solid.  I change out only about 20% and use the opportunity to replenish any water lost from evaporation.  For me, it is more of a preventative thing.  I know that tank could probably go a couple months (maybe longer) without a change, but if anything were to come up, I know that the time since the last change would not have been long ago.  That and I like to keep a tidy tank. 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am high stock with mostly high bioload inhabitants thin gravel or no substrate and have fry of some type in most of my tanks all the time. I vac up the yuck 3-4 times a week and change a bit of water. Lots of fry or dedicated fry tank daily 50% plus vac. I don’t use fertilizer my water has nitrates. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, Fish Folk said:

Just sayin . . . 

Went to school in NC and would relish the opportunity to go out when home on breaks for LEGIT cheesesteaks 

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

I tend to do water changes as needed. Oscar, African cichlid, and QTs have to do atleast once a week all other tanks are planted so even small tanks go 2-3 weeks and my 125G I have only topped off evaporation 6 months. I do believe over time you have to replace minerals into the water. If you top off regular enough will work but this is the main reason I water change my planted tanks, to remineralize. Been using this philosophy about a year as I’ve gotten more into plants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I set up my 75 gal I was determined to try and create a balanced tank that needs very few or no water changes. So far I haven’t been able to completely eliminate them. About every two months I can tell from the fish’s behavior that they’re not thriving. I can tell from the tds reading that some  unknown compounds are building up even though the Nitrate levels are not alarming. After a 25-30% change they perk up and start acting normal again. Since I want them acting normal all the time I’m going to switch to at least once a month changes. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If your water is that bad, it should be up to you.

I'm on well water so I do as much water change as my well can handle. 

As a breeder..... it take a bit more than just stable parameters, I want all the elements, mineral, electrolytes that come from new water into my aquarium. It really raises the quality of my stock. The only thing I can't seem to get is natural sunlight for all my aquarium. 

Or just add a wonder shell lol

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:51 PM, Fish Folk said:

Just sayin . . . 

It's not just the East Coast.  I'm in southeast Texas and I have strong opinions about some foods, especially barbecue (the meat should be cooked slowly directly over coals; anything else is just smoked meat) and chili (no beans, ever).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

I use a conductivity meter which measures the amount of ions in the water to decide when I do a water change. Too many ions can mess with your fish health and in my tanks at least the number always increases over time. Although in some tanks it can take months to reach that level and I don't have my tanks setup with the goal of no water changes in mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:02 PM, modified lung said:

I use a conductivity meter which measures the amount of ions in the water to decide when I do a water change. Too many ions can mess with your fish health and in my tanks at least the number always increases over time. Although in some tanks it can take months to reach that level and I don't have my tanks setup with the goal of no water changes in mind.

Do you use a Milwaukee meter? 

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:04 AM, Fish Folk said:

Do you use a Milwaukee meter? 

I use the Apera pocket testers. I was able to compare their pH tester with high end HACH bench top pH probes that were calibrated twice every week and the Apera was always within 0.05 and held calibration for months. So I assume their EC testers are good too.

• Thanks 2

I tend to overstock, I love fish and they come first in my hobby. This is why I water change. In tanks with low bioloads and heavy planting absolutely you can go a long time. I have a plant grow out tank that has a ton of blue dream shrimp, snails and 1 amoeca splendens and I change water in there mostly when I am dealing with algae or did a big trim it is to remove the detritus I just created. I also like to water change in there to help remineralize for the shrimp. That is one thing you will definitely need to heed as above get a good pH kit and monitor your TDS as these no water change systems are more at risk for "old tank syndrome," which you should look up. 

In terms of the fertilization and nutrients in the water column, Unless you are removing and replacing them there is no guarantee what is available to the plants. This is why hi-tech scapers use estimated index and heavy water changes - they want complete control of what is present. This is a plant first philosophy. 

This is where the art and science of the hobby comes in. You will get lots of lived experience from us on the forum but we all have different water, plants and setups so in the end you'll need to find your philosophy and be prepared to change as your tanks and hobby change. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I used to change the water every week then I got lazy and haven't changed it in 6 months... All my parameters are good I just add water to counterbalance the evaporation. I think that I'm mostly able to maintain this because of a lightly under-stocked tank, sponge filter, and lots of stem and floating plants. From some research I did it seems that the plants and sponge filter are somewhat critical in insuring the water levels stay stable and safe. 

• Thanks 1

I have been following the Aquarium Coop water change guide because I started using easy green.  I am still fine tuning but have been doing 30% every 2 weeks.  Like everyone will tell you, every tank is different and may need different maintenance.  I am in South Jersey as well.  I remember getting a cheese steak in North Jersey and it had potato’s on it.  I am still scarred.  😀 Not sure where you other South Jersey people are exactly, but I am 10 minutes from the Aquarium Center in Blackwood.  It is a great store.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1