Custom glass aquarium specs

Guppy Guy

I am trying to build a custom aquarium to put inside of an old pc. I was originally going to use acrylic, but after I asked about acrylic tank building, I figured out that acrylic is really expensive right now, and I now feel that glass is a little easier to work with.

Since I am going to try using glass now, what thickness glass do I need, what type do I need, and where can I buy it? The tank diminutions are 14.75” x 6.25” x 11”. Silicone isn’t a problem as I have some left over from previous projects.

I don’t know how viable this is, but could I buy a 10 gallon tank, and cut the panels to size? 

Thanks!

Edited by Guppy Guy

6-8mm for that small of a tank. It’ll be much cheaper to buy bulk glass panels. You can use a scoring knife or a diamond tip circular blade. They usually have one specifically designed for glass. Diamond tips aren’t cheap, so you can buy glass scoring knives at most home improvement and craft stores for like $7-20. Tape the line on both sides makes for an easier cut

You are going to want high clarity or low iron glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, interesting. I read the acrylic tank thread and there are some really good suggestions including the ones here. 

I think I understand what your trying to do but custom cutting glass might start getting costly. Buying a 10 gallon would be a cheaper way to go but cutting those panels down can be tricky. If any of the panels are tempered those cannot be cut without shattering, at least thats what happens drilling tanks. Theres lots of videos on cutting aquarium glass though. 

Another option is a single wood or glass viewing panel make the rest in wood and coat it in epoxy? I have never done this and I'm note sure it would be cost effective but theres lots of videos and treads about making plywood aquariums. Just a though considering it sounds like its sitting inside a monitor with only one viewing panel. 

• Thanks 1

If you have a local Ace hardware, or a glass shop, you can get panels cut to whatever size you would like, and they'll sand the edges for you as well so they aren't sharp. It will cost more than buying a ten gallon tank, in the long run maybe not, because if you have never cut glass before, you will probably have a piece crack and break where you don't want it to.