Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish

Karen B.

I briefly had one.  We named him Guido. 😄 

Unfortunately,  he didn't last long in our tank. I think there was not enough for him to eat in the tank & when I fed, the guppies got every last bite. Water-piggies! I feel really bad about losing him. 

After my STT (seasoned tank time) is more established,  Idk like to try again. Do you have any tips or tricks?  I guess if Henri bred in your tank,  he must be a pretty happy fella.😍 

• Like 1

@akconklin Hello! I do hope you get one again. They are so adorable. As far as food goes, I think the most important advice I can give you is to make sure to feed them with food dedicated to them specifically. For exemple, CrabCuisine from Hikari, or algea wafer. The fish won’t be able to steal it. 

it’s a bit harder when I feed frozen food like bloodworms and the like. The fishes go crazy but one solution is to put some directly to the bottom of the aquarium, or in a cave. I sometimes use a pipette and feed them directly one bloodworm each, to be sure they ate. Also, I THINK it’s ok to overfeed your fish a little bit when you have a scavenger so it can pick bits and pieces all around the aquarium.

• Thanks 1

Over the weekend i saw a dwarf blue crayfish at a local fish store and man it was cute. Because it was so tiny like maybe an inch long just a baby. There's a part of me that really wanted it but also i've heard they can hassle fish and plants when they grow up 

• Like 1

@Phill DHello! If it’s a dwarf crayfish (cambarellus patzcuarensis), then there is nothing to fear for your plants. As for other fish, while I wouldn’t keep them with bottom dwellers, slow fish or fishes with long fin, otherwise there shouldn’t be any problem- I have 3 with my 14 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and the minnows harass my crayfish more then the opposite.  đŸ€Ș The crayfish are a bit slow. 

But be aware that regarding the blue dwarf crayfish, you have to keep them in a pH lower then 6.5 or else they will revert to a more brownish color.

22 minutes ago, Karen B. said:

@Phill DHello! If it’s a dwarf crayfish (cambarellus patzcuarensis), then there is nothing to fear for your plants. As for other fish, while I wouldn’t keep them with bottom dwellers, slow fish or fishes with long fin, otherwise there shouldn’t be any problem- I have 3 with my 14 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and the minnows harass my crayfish more then the opposite.  đŸ€Ș The crayfish are a bit slow. 

But be aware that regarding the blue dwarf crayfish, you have to keep them in a pH lower then 6.5 or else they will revert to a more brownish color.

You basically just described all my fish. I always keep dwarf catfish, loaches and bettas. Right now i have a betta, otos, panda corys and a black kuhli. 10 years ago i probably would have got a yoyo loach and dwarf crayfish at the same time not realizing it would turn into the Thunderdome. My tapwater comes out somewhere between 7.4-8 and stays in the mid high 7s while in my tank despite the fish and plants doing their thing. 

@Phill D my dwarfs never bothered plants, i find that they actually do better and breed more readily in planted tanks, i think all the cover helps them feel more secure. i really havent even seen them pick at dead or dying plants either, the only damage is when they would climb them and maybe do a little damage with their claws. 

• Like 1