Hello from Indiana

Laura R

I have made a few posts so thought I should do an introduction. I started with common guppy as a child then got some  moor goldfish in my 20's. Goldfish lived 10+ years. I became a medical technologist so the water chemistry fascinated me. Also, I loved outdoor gardening and house plants. Fast forward 40 years...it does go fast! I am now retired and have 11 tanks the largest a 29 gal. My well water is hard and try to keep livestock that is compatible with the water parameters, mostly. I have embraced planted tanks to do indoor gardening (not human edibles) in tanks with diminished edible outdoor gardening as my bones/joints complain (container gardening and raised beds now with many native plants in flower beds).

I keep lovely mutt guppies, rainbow platys, corydora, some loaches, a few pleco and rasbora and danio, betta, 1 pea puffer, neocardinia shrimp. Also some tiger barb and gouramis. I love the jungle look in some tanks. Stem plants do not fare well for me but the epiphytes are thriving. 

I appreciate everyone's experiences and knowledge being shared on this forum and the you-tube and other videos  shared on other formats. 

Always learning, with awe, Laura R.

Thanks to Cory and the Aquarium Co-op crew!

Edited by Laura R
  • Like 3

On 1/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, Laura R said:

I have made a few posts so thought I should do an introduction. I started with common guppy as a child then got some  moor goldfish in my 20's. Goldfish lived 10+ years. I became a medical technologist so the water chemistry fascinated me. Also, I loved outdoor gardening and house plants. Fast forward 40 years...it does go fast! I am now retired and have 11 tanks the largest a 29 gal. My well water is hard and try to keep livestock that is compatible with the water parameters, mostly. I have embraced planted tanks to do indoor gardening (not human edibles) in tanks with diminished edible outdoor gardening as my bones/joints complain (container gardening and raised beds now with many native plants in flower beds).

I keep lovely mutt guppies, rainbow platys, corydora, some loaches, a few pleco and rasbora and danio, betta, 1 pea puffer, neocardinia shrimp. I love the jungle look in some tanks. Stem plants do not fare well for me but the epiphytes are thriving. 

I appreciate everyone's experiences and knowledge being shared on this forum and the you-tube and other videos  shared on other formats. 

Always learning, with awe, Laura R.

Thanks to Cory and the Aquarium Co-op crew!

Welcome to the forum.  I'm from quasi-rural Indiana as well so I'm familiar with the hard water. Sounds like you have lots of cool fish. 

On 1/30/2022 at 3:15 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

Welcome to the forum! Do you have a way to share some photos of your aquariums? They sound great!

I decided to do some journal entries with photos. I took a few with my tablet that are acceptable. I will work on that so you all can check my efforts and enjoyment out. It is nice to share with others...sometimes I think I only "talk fish!" Stay tuned!

• Like 1