Modified Breeding Journal

Medaka Ricefish Fish (1)

The year long local search for ricefish came up empty so a few months ago I decided to try ordering from Aquahuna upon Cory's recommendation. Well they did not disappoint. I received six very healthy Pearl Galaxy and Orange Youkihi Medaka Ricefish, 3 males and 3 females of each.

1476685600_IMG_20220129_133656496_PORTRAIT2.jpg.77fe2fd1321e80a9b153acf4f56fe67e.jpg

1100970095_IMG_20220129_1347217372.jpg.95b3de8f81a0eb70b2243e60cf5be211.jpg

I keep them on the top shelf of the rack with no lighting other than sun from the window. Each variety is kept in its own bare bottom 10 gallon tank and a DIY static K1 biofilter.

One week after moving inside the Orange (scroll up scroll up copy paste) Youkihis bred for the first time. Two weeks after that the Pearl Galaxies bred.

Eggs stick to the vent of the female until rubbed off onto a surface. I tried a few methods to collect eggs but the easiest so far has been to place a large scuff pad flat on the bottom of the tank. The eggs have been taking about 10-12 days to hatch so once a week I inspect the pad for eggs which are usually found around the edges.

The eggs are removed with a pipette and placed in a hatchery made from a deli container with a screen hot glued over holes punched on each side. A small air lift continuously drips water through the hatchery container. I've been getting good hatch rates with this method.

IMG_20220129_135334953.jpg.2cfd4f2ab1a29a4907bdd1cc044022da.jpg

Feed

The adults are fed daphnids, scuds, and flake food when I'm feeling lazy. More rarely I feed them live baby brine, blackworms, or frozen bloodworms.

The fry are being fed infusaria  through a slow drip overflow siphon. Recently I found my neglected rotifer culture was packed with rotifers so I added them to the regime. And once a day I pipette in some vinegar eels.

9904099_IMG_20220201_1500288232.jpg.621183d96e3acb103d79c991d9f0f800.jpg

(Edit: not surprisingly the rotifer culture was not very sustainable while being harvested on)

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Celestial Pearl Danio (1)

I retired my first breeding group of CPDs today. I've had them for a few years and their egg count has been very low for the past couple months. I took a good look at them today and I think they're just getting old and tired.

IMG_20220325_164923991.jpg.e8c3d7263b4aabd7a5db115cf5b87db2.jpg

They'll live the rest of their lives in this 20 gallon tank in the living room where I keep extra cuttings of every plant I've ever grown in no particular arrangement. Here they will no longer be bothered by the god hand descending to collect their payment of children. They did good.

IMG_20220325_191513365.jpg.f1cd7e69f4cd21098830cf92ebfcd9d4.jpg

Last week I picked up four new females. They'll be replacing the old group as the main breeders along with a few of the old group's male offspring. 

Hopefully these guys will pick up the breeding. I got requests for about 70 total CPDs this week but because of the low egg counts I don't think I have that many right now. Maybe I'll pick up another group and start a second CPD breeding tank. People seem to be getting tired of dead CPDs from the LFS and apparently people have been recommending me as a source for healthy CPDs. 

The new group is a lot less shy but haven't started regularly breeding yet. I got 36 eggs out of 4 females the first day. Since then they haven't laid more than 5 eggs at a time. If I remember correctly, the first group took a couple months to get comfortable and from then on bred almost daily.

My CPD setup is really basic. Just some Java moss on a shallow container with a mesh grate in top. In the past I've used a yard spawning mop in place of the moss. In the future I might try one of the air lift egg collectors. But first someone has to drink the rest of that soda on top of the fridge. It will be a while.

IMG_20220406_152425101.jpg.7d4a013c79dd612fa376311852a42c01.jpg

Fry

I've been experimenting with different live foods for the fry. I found some ceriodaphnia, a genus in the same family as daphnia, in the same spot I collected my wild blackworms. The adults are not much larger than newly hatched brine shrimp and their offspring can barely be seen with the naked eye.

[I've found quite a few types of zooplankton in the same order as daphnia. I'll start a journal on my research and experiments with them some time soon]

Last week I added a cup of water from my ceriodaphnia culture tank to this holding container along with 3 CPD fry and have not fed them since. A few days ago I added 17 more fry that recently entered their free swimming stage.

IMG_20220406_153823031_HDR.jpg.b99b2c5fa58eb602c5a05a4c207762db.jpg

Looking closely I can see they're constantly munching at something in the water column and their growth rate has outpaced any I've had before. Although typically I don't feed my fry as often as I should because of [grumble, grumble] full time employment.

I'm doing the same with some ricefish fry and the results so far have been promising for them as well.

I started hatching out my eggs in the smaller container on the right in the photo above. After reading @Allan B.'s journal entries on CPD breeding, I've become more interested in my hatch rates. The first batch of eggs from my new breeding group all fungused up on the second day. I was too lazy to dump them and two days later over half of them hatched out anyway which was unexpected.

This first batch of 36 eggs had a hatch rate of exactly 50%. Not surprising that not all the first eggs were viable. Since then, every batch of 2-5 eggs has had 100% hatch rates. Although high hatch rates with such a low number of eggs isn't really all that impressive IMO.

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:40 PM, modified lung said:

Celestial Pearl Danio (1)

I mentioned elsewhere I recently retired my first group of CPD breeders to the living room 20 gallon. They've been doing the nasty for me for a couple years now and are looking old and tired. 

The new group is a lot less shy but haven't started regularly breeding yet. I got 36 eggs out of 4 females the first day. Since then they haven't laid more than 5 eggs at a time. If I remember correctly, the first group took a couple months to get comfortable and from then on bred almost daily.

My CPD setup is really basic. Just some Java moss on a shallow container with a mesh grate in top. In the past I've used a yard spawning mop in place of the moss. In the future I might try one of the air lift egg collectors. But first someone has to drink the rest of that soda on top of the fridge. It will be a while.

IMG_20220406_152425101.jpg.7d4a013c79dd612fa376311852a42c01.jpg

Fry

I've been experimenting with different live foods for the fry. I found some ceriodaphnia, a genus in the same family as daphnia, in the same spot I collected my wild blackworms. The adults are not much larger than newly hatched brine shrimp and their offspring can barely be seen with the naked eye.

[I've found quite a few types of zooplankton in the same order as daphnia. I'll start a journal on my research and experiments with them some time soon]

Last week I added a cup of water from my ceriodaphnia culture tank to this holding container along with 3 CPD fry and have not fed them since. A few days ago I added 17 more fry that recently entered their free swimming stage.

IMG_20220406_153823031_HDR.jpg.b99b2c5fa58eb602c5a05a4c207762db.jpg

Looking closely I can see they're constantly munching at something in the water column and their growth rate has outpaced any I've had before. Although typically I don't feed my fry as often as I should because of [grumble, grumble] full time employment.

I'm doing the same with some ricefish fry and the results so far have been promising for them as well.

I started hatching out my eggs in the smaller container on the right in the photo above. After reading @Allan B.'s journal entries on CPD breeding, I've become more interested in my hatch rates. The first batch of eggs from my new breeding group all fungused up on the second day. I was too lazy to dump them and two days later over half of them hatched out anyway which was unexpected.

This first batch of 36 eggs had a hatch rate of exactly 50%. Not surprising that not all the first eggs were viable. Since then, every batch of 2-5 eggs has had 100% hatch rates.

Awesome hatch rates, and my fry grow infinitely better in established tanks with live foods, too. I struggle to sustain enough live foods in the tank, with 100+ fry though🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Celestial Pearl Danio (2)

The new breeding group has been in action for exactly one month. Most of that time the egg count in the catch container has been very low and inconsistent, between 3 and 10. However, a few days ago I noticed the problem. Instead of the moss, they were breeding over the substrate like a bunch of neanderthals.

I tried a few things that failed to get them to breed over the egg catch container such as (1) using a lower container, (2) burying the container in the substrate, (3) the moss was getting long a straggly, so also I tried taking half of it out.

What finally worked is replacing the moss with susswassertang. The next day I collecting 40 to 50 eggs onward. 

IMG_20220422_150106961.jpg.5deed7e980c3642f956f0eb7a0d4b48f.jpg

In other news, I borrowed an oxygen meter from work and tested all my tanks. They were all normal except the CPD breeding tank which was around 5.5 ppm. That's dangerously low.

The low level is likely because the tank used to be a dirted tank. There aren't many plants in there anymore but the dirt is still under the substrate and must be hosting some serious oxygen consuming activity. So, as Cory always says, I added an air stone. The next morning the oxygen level was 7.6 ppm and I collected 81 eggs which breaks the one day egg record.

Might be a coincidence but I'm guessing the increases oxygen has something to do with it. This might also be why the old group stopped breeding after I moved them to the rack.

• Like 1

I totally understand the Neanderthal breeding behavior.  I went this route to catch eggs when this happened. My tank was bare bottom and it had eggs all over. Mom pleco loved to vacuum them up.  The just gravel with 1 tiny sprig of hornwort made into an open circle around the circumference of the dish held together with a plant weight got the most. Some used the hornwort and the neanderthals used the center.  I could not find pics of the hornwort ones. Here are the empty and the single Java fern ones that did great. 

76B64D4A-27B7-4073-BC1F-F9577CBB57B3.png

8D74498B-E355-4D1A-83B5-090E54B6D45B.png

88857731-38ED-4F16-A296-8570BC77E242.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Glowlight Danio Danio (1)

Anyone have any glowlight danio breeding tips? The little info I found was conflicting.

My first attempt set up today is the basket method with susswassertang and a temperature drop. I think there's 2 males, 3 females which were transfered from their main tank at 74°F into a bare bottom at 71°F.

IMG_20220429_140549886.jpg.163606992d90edcf9a701d6d32768bdc.jpg

Edit: Attempt abandoned already. They can just barely squeeze through the basket holes. One of them got injured in the process. Returned fish to their original tank.

Celestial Pearl Danio (3)

Since transferring all my tanks to the new rack at the beginning of the year, I'm finding I'm having all sorts of problems I've never had before. Now that I've gotten the new group to spawn regularly, I find I have an egg fungus and fry survival problem. 

One big difference between the new setup and the old is cleanliness. The new setup is much more clean, gets much more regular water changes, and much fewer botanicals. 

I've never had to use chemicals before and, darnit, I ain't startin' now. So I've set up a few rough experiments.

First, I filled 4 vials with 50 mL of water and 5 eggs each. 5 mL of peat moss soak water is added to vial #1 , 10 mL to #2, 15 mL to #3, and none to #4. There will be no water movement. We'll see if the humic acids are enough to prevent fungus.

IMG_20220429_142837575.jpg.871db5b145d43b67cb9300f6c3d8805c.jpg

Second, I suspect there's such a thing as too much water movement for fry survival before they get to the free swimming stage. They usually start free swimming at 7-8 days.

For the experiment I set up a series of hatching containers each of which will sit for 10 days. The first will be aerated with an air stone for 7 days, the next for one day less, and so on.  Good enough.

IMG_20220429_142854857_HDR.jpg.8e49d9fa9c5479e5198590e83e24f100.jpg

I actually started this one last week and have some initial results. 7 days of aeration had 13% survival and 6 days had 35%.

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rosey Loach (1)

Rosy loaches are one of my favorite fish. They are the smallest loach in existence as far as I'm aware and are native to the same habitat as CPDs. In my experience these are very hard to find and there's almost no info on them on the internet. So I basically started trying to breed these with nothing to go on last year. 

I keep them in an old acrylic 20 gallon tank with no heater. The tank is in a closet with very large windows that doesn't receive much heat from the house so temperatures swing quite a lot throughout the year 

IMG_20220430_180432682.jpg.f5f70f297f2d8efb1cb7a28b6d103050.jpg

After a few months near the end of last fall I finally found about 40 fry.  Unfortunately, most likely due to low temperatures, breeding stopped after that.

But spring has been here and temperatures have been back up for a while now. Unfortunately temperature increases alone don't seem to trigger spawning.

Water from this tank is also used to refill the greenwater jars everyday so it sees a lot of change in water level. So it seems flooding and the small temp swings that come with adding new water can be ruled out as a trigger.

Yesterday I finally found fry again. I'm not sure but it seems dense plant life might be the most important factor. Last week I added more hornwort and anchored half of it to the bottom. Afterward is the first time this year I saw spawning behavior from this group. 

20220430_181905-ANIMATION.gif.c48ab2d6a699491c7df513e520011303.gif

Temp: +/-75°F

pH: 7.40–7.50

EC: 456 uS / TDS: 292 ppm

Hardness: 8.5 GH

Alkalinity: 6.5 KH

But it's hard to say for sure because the fry from last year, which are now adults, have been showing spawning behavior for a while right out in the open in a separate 30 gallon holding tank. 

Edited by modified lung
  • Love 1