Help with recent slimy stuff in tank on plants & substrate

I have had this 10 gallon set up since the beginning of December. I've got Amazon swords in there (now realize they will get way too big for a 10 gallon) planted in Seachem Flourite. I use this LVYTECH light I got off Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0987TNSCC ). I only have 1 betta in the tank and that is all that has ever been in there. The plants took off at first and were doing fantastic. 1 pump of Easy Green per week when I water change.

The last 3 weeks I have noticed weird dark slimy stuff that covers the leaves, I can wipe it off the leaves easily, and it smells really awful. Now it is starting to lay on the substrate and a little on the glass. 

If anyone knows what this is or how to get rid of it I'd love any tips. I have been wiping off the leaves twice a week and have cleaned the whole tank twice this week already and it comes back super fast. 

Water parameters:

Ammonia: 0

pH: 8.2 (it's always this high)

Nitrite: 0

Nitrates 5.0

Thank you so much for any help!

IMG_20220129_161942.jpg

IMG_20220129_161948.jpg

The leaves look like they have diatome algae which is normal with a new tank. I had a ton in my 20 gallon for a while but doing water changes and rubbing leaves will slowly work it out. As your tank seasons or settles in then it won’t be as prevalent. 

these two picts are from same tank a couple months apart diatome algae was so bad it got depressing almost started whole tank over but no tank looks amazing

70B791BD-B927-4728-937D-EC3F8AF7917B.jpeg

9E5690D2-2E5C-4703-8E46-D42ED58CF9BA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 6:42 PM, Brad J Reinert said:

The leaves look like they have diatome algae which is normal with a new tank.

I definitely have diatom in there, I need to get a better picture of the leaves, they have that as well as this weird black stuff on them. It coats the leaves and comes right off in one big piece if I wipe it.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:32 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I think you might have blue-green algae which is actually a bacteria....co-op has an info page on it...

Just read the article, it certainly has a gross pungent smell and when I wipe the leaves off its like a booger slime lol. I'll treat the tank with some Maracyn and see where we go from there. Will this bacteria hurt my betta?

I've never had it myself but my understanding if it gets out of control it can definitely kill off your ecosystem. Per a quick internet search it does say it can "produce toxins which are harmful for fish, shrimp and plants."

Don't panic. If you have a QT I would put Betta and any snails or other inhabitants in there. If you use a sponge filter that seems unaffected you can put that in the QT. Do as the Co-op says and manually clean up as much as you can and start treatment.  

I believe the "kill off the ecosystem" would likely only happen if it got totally out of control. My advice is just out of abundance of caution. It would likely kill the plants first by blocking out all their lights and nutrients then it would go downhill from there. This is just what I would do if I were in your shoes (the QT and treat). 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 1/29/2022 at 7:07 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

If you have a QT I would put Betta and any snails or other inhabitants in there.

Unfortunately I don't have a QT. I do have a 55g but it also has a male betta in there, so in this case should I leave the little guy in the 10g while I treat it? I have wiped this stuff off the sponge filter in the tank too, so does that mean it's compromised too? I just don't know how it happened, I faithfully do my water changes every week and the parameters have been good. Maybe not enough aeration? Ugh. Thank you so much for your help. 

If you don't have a QT I don't see why Betta can't be in there but I just don't like to expose fish to meds when they don't need to be, that's just my preference. 

Don't beat yourself up @Goldie Blue, we just have small ecosystems and all sorts of fun things live in them without our knowing. It does appear low/no flow does encourage the growth and I know Betta keepers (and the Bettas) aren't huge fans of flow. I'd suspect that's your culprit. If the treatment works it should kill it all off and everything should be ok. It appears you got it early. 

Just manually clean what you can, the sponge filter should be fine. 

Be sure to follow the Co-op instructions and no water changes for a week in that tank after treatment with the Maracyn. So I'd probably recommend be light on your feedings, just to keep the parameters safe for Betta. The Maracyn won't kill the beneficial bacteria. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Love 1

I am wondering though, do you ever use Catappa (Indian Almond Leaf) in your Betta tank? I'm suspecting not but I was thinking since it's heavily used in betta keeping circles and purportedly anti-bacterial if when you finish treatment adding a leaf would be beneficial in keeping it at bay in the future? Hope someone can pop in and give their experience if that's true I'd be interested. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

am wondering though, do you ever use Catappa (Indian Almond Leaf) in your Betta tank?

I actually do have the leaves, but hadn't decided if I wanted to put them in the tank or not. I think this might be the deciding factor. I'd like to know if anyone else has experience with it as well.

• Like 1