To get a peau puffer… or not (part 2!)

Karen B.

Greetings!

sooo… I went ahead and got a 10 gallons tank (don’t even know where I will put it yet… 7 aquariums in a tiny apartment is a challenge, as well as finding stand that are solid enough)

I would like 2 apistogramma but I beleive 10 gallons is on the small size for them to thrive. Do you agree?

I was also always interested by pea puffer. So now that I see an opportunity, I have been reading a lot about them.

The problem is there is so much conflictual information… I just din’t know what to do!

The tank will be planted, heated, have a HOB filter and a sponge filter, substrate will be gravel. 

Personally I only want 1 pea puffer. I hate agression or fish chasing each other (I had a male honey gourami, everyone kept telling me they were a social specy and to get more. I got 2 females and now all the male do is chase them. I was told it’s normal behavior but that’s now what I was expecting as social fish and enjoy my tank so much less…)

But I red they do better in group. Even read that a lone pea puffer can get psychological issues… 

So… can I have your opinion, experience, suggestions? I read a group of 3 is best in a 10 gallons. 2 f and a m, but as juvenile it’s hard to differentiate them… Do I buy like 6, put them in the 10 gallons all together and as soon as I can spot a male and 2 female, bring the other one back?

Thank you!

I recently got a small pea puffer-less than a half inch from aquatic arts. I had planned putting it in heavily planted 10 gal with danio but puffer so small thought it get eaten. I only had empty 2.5 so that is where he lives atm with heater, sponge filter, many bladder snails, 3 cherry shrimp so it would not get bored/enrichment(?). I feed small amt of frozen bloodworms; a few small pellets every few days for shrimp and snails with a blob of algae and moss ball from another tank. All seem to be doing well after 4 weeks - except must add snails regularly. 

Puffer seems fine as single fish. I still see 3 shrimp but no babies. As puffer grows will probably upgrade to larger tank...seems to work well for now.

• Like 1

I have a pair of kribs that are doing well in a ten so I think the apistos would probably also be fine in a ten. As for the puffers, I keep mine solo. If I had the space and money I would love to upgrade to a 20 H and have 5-6 but she is doing well by herself. I feed her small ramshorn snails and bloodworms and change up the plants and decor to keep her interested.

• Like 1