Suggestions for a 90

So, as of tomorrow, I am probably getting a 90 gallon tank for an absolute steal. It will easily be the biggest tank I have ever owned. It does not come with a stand so will cinder blocks and 2x4s work as a stand or will I need to reinforce it more? Also, since its the biggest tank I've ever had, I am open to any and all suggestions for what to put in it. I have a few ideas, but I want to get ideas from other people too. Those of you who have read my fish room journal know someone asked me about a show tank. I think this will be it so fire away. 

Edit: The tank is two inches wider than the standard cinder block (18in instead of 16.) Could I use 3 8x8x8 cinder blocks instead of one 16x8x8 per level? Would that decrease the strength of the stand? 

Edited by Basement Fishroom Bargains
Additional question
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 9:57 PM, Basement Fishroom Bargains said:

So, as of tomorrow, I am probably getting a 90 gallon tank for an absolute steal. It will easily be the biggest tank I have ever owned. It does not come with a stand so will cinder blocks and 2x4s work as a stand or will I need to reinforce it more? Also, since its the biggest tank I've ever had, I am open to any and all suggestions for what to put in it. I have a few ideas, but I want to get ideas from other people too. Those of you who have read my fish room journal know someone asked me about a show tank. I think this will be it so fire away. 

Hmm . . . the 90 gallon tank is a big one. Very tall in front. If I recall . . . same base dimensions as a 75 gal, but taller by a few inches. It has the effect of the standard a 29 gal vs. a 20 long. There's much more glass to watch through. You'll want to invest in very good quality lighting that can effectively penetrate to the depth.

I imagine a perimeter, or back wall of Valisneria. I'd also plant some Amazon swords out front of the val a bit. No matter what you do, I think that a planted back perimeter looks stunning. Center something handsome you like in the middle . . . some dashing, large piece of  driftwood. A 90 gal  is so tall, you'll hate yourself if you leave too much to do with reaching in often. Bear that in mind! Consult the brilliant root-tab extender tutorial posted here on the forum by @Bill Smith

I'll point out that once you've added up tank weight + substrate weight + water + hardscape, you may well be in the 1,100-1,200 lbs. weight range. Keep that in mind as you plan your stand. I feel certain that if you do blocks properly they can work. I am just not a heavy-duty builder. Maybe @Atitagain can jump in with thoughts on a secure stand design.

For stocking . . . this is really the unique challenge for every aquarist. If you want to go the route of a massive, richly planted freshwater community tank, @StephenP2003 has kept a really beautiful one...

Another totally different direction you can go is for a stunning Discus tank. Aquarium Official YouTube Channel is the cat-nip channel for some of us newbs who need a Discus fix from time to time...

But for me, another option could be a temperate (cool water) U.S. Native stocked tank. Hydrophlox Shiners are a stunning schooling fish. Here's a stream simulation setup...

No matter what, let us know what you go with!

Edited by Fish Folk

On 1/28/2022 at 11:30 PM, Fish Folk said:

Hmm . . . the 90 gallon tank is a big one. Very tall in front. If I recall . . . same base dimensions as a 75 gal, but taller by a few inches. It has the effect of the standard a 29 gal vs. a 20 long. There's much more glass to watch through. You'll want to invest in very good quality lighting that can effectively penetrate to the depth.

I imagine a perimeter, or back wall of Valisneria. I'd also plant some Amazon swords out front of the val a bit. No matter what you do, I think that a planted back perimeter looks stunning. Center something handsome you like in the middle . . . some dashing, large piece of  driftwood. A 90 gal  is so tall, you'll hate yourself if you leave too much to do with reaching in often. Bear that in mind! Consult the brilliant root-tab extender tutorial posted here on the forum by @Bill Smith

I'll point out that once you've added up tank weight + substrate weight + water + hardscape, you may well be in the 1,100-1,200 lbs. weight range. Keep that in mind as you plan your stand. I feel certain that if you do blocks properly they can work. I am just not a heavy-duty builder. Maybe @Atitagain can jump in with thoughts on a secure stand design.

For stocking . . . this is really the unique challenge for every aquarist. If you want to go the route of a massive, richly planted freshwater community tank, @StephenP2003 has kept a really beautiful one...

Another totally different direction you can go is for a stunning Discus tank. Aquarium Official YouTube Channel is the cat-nip channel for some of us newbs who need a Discus fix from time to time...

But for me, another option could be a temperate (cool water) U.S. Native stocked tank. Hydrophlox Shiners are a stunning schooling fish. Here's a stream simulation setup...

No matter what, let us know what you go with!

I am concerned about the weight, hence my questions about the stand. I may do five legs instead of the three Cory does for his if I go for cinder block and 2x4s.  

Those shiners are gorgeous. They are now on my must have list! I don't know that they will go in the 90, but I absolutely have to get my hands on those at some point.  Thank you very much for the suggestions!

• Like 1

If you want to blow up the internet, find someone who can get you a few of these to try in a 90 gal...

594522857_ScreenShot2022-01-28at11_36_28PM.png.40aef5b583d774e4f5b24a8a0436da1c.png

Behold! the U.S. native Spotfin Chub (Erimonax monachus / or the Cyprinella monachus). I'm pretty sure you'll never find them available. Protected fish and whatnot. But they're the freshwater equal in beauty of anything you'll find wild elsewhere in the world.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, Fish Folk said:

If you want to blow up the internet, find someone who can get you a few of these to try in a 90 gal...

594522857_ScreenShot2022-01-28at11_36_28PM.png.40aef5b583d774e4f5b24a8a0436da1c.png

Behold! the U.S. native Spotfin Chub (Erimonax monachus / or the Cyprinella monachus). I'm pretty sure you'll never find them available. Protected fish and whatnot. But they're the freshwater equal in beauty of anything you'll find wild elsewhere in the world.

Gorgeous fish. Too bad you say they're protected. They'd be great for a native themed tank. 

• Like 1

this is hard for me to figure out how to word this because I am absolutely wrong but I’m gonna try and defend myself anyway.🤪

I have always been leery of using cinder blocks for aquarium stands. I know their safe and as you add weight it makes them lock together. I’ve even seen testing of how safe they are, I can’t find the video but I’m 99% sure it was @Zenzo at tazawa tanks who posted it. But to me I see it’s not bolted to anything, no mortar, and just a single block wide sometimes up too 8 high. Again I understand they are safe and have been used for a long time it just seems like if I just bumped it, that could make it wobble and fall. And if you wanna go with the 8x8x8 to me, seems like a much greater risk. 
Another thing that really bothers me about these set ups , the 2x4s are always laying flat. Will they hold that weight like that I guess but a 2x4 is meant to stand up, In this application.

with all that said understand I am a carpenter 95% of the time my first thought to any problem “how do I fix/ build this out of wood?” 
All my racks are made of 2x4s and 2x6. I used a lot of extra screws and made sure all weight transfers down the legs to the floor. Not sure of the price savings to use blocks but the security I feel from building mine from wood is worth the price. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:56 AM, Atitagain said:

a 2x4 is meant to stand up

Great point, I`ve never seen any type of floor over a say a basement that the plank is flat, it just won`t support the weight, same with steel rafters (I think that`s the word I want) aways upright never flat.

I have a 95 gallon as by far my biggest tank.  We actually re-purposed and re-inforced an old antique dresser as the tank stand, and I LOVE having all the drawers to keep all my fish stuff in!  The tanks are really tall.  I'm 5'8", and the water comes up to my armpit when I reach in to the bottom (I know because there's a nice duckweed line when I'm done 😄 and my shirt is ALWAYS wet, even when I put on a tank top).  Just something to keep in mind.  I personally like the proportions in comparison to a 75, but maintenence is...uh...wetter 😄

I really like how the plants have grown in on mine.  I have val along the back and sides, and it easily grows taller than the walls of the tank and floats on top.  I also have some nice swords and crypts in the front.  I was on a budget with the tank, so the driftwood, etc. is smaller than what I'd have chosen if I had an unlimited budget.  I built up a couple piles of river rocks (50lbs worth, and you really can't even see them now that the plants have grown in) with drift wood on top.  If I'd had more $ for hardscape, I would have probably gotten some larger pieces of spider wood to get a more vertical hardscape, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out.  

My stocking is mainly livebearers, corys, dwarf chain loaches (to help take care of the snails), and a couple angels.  I really enjoy watching the tank--there's always something happening.  For lighting (again, on a budget) I got 2 Hygger 24/7 Planted lights.  They have been plently powerful enough to grow everything I've tried (plus some algae).  

I'll grab a pic and post it later today--it's cleaning the tank day, so might as well show it off clean instead of having too much duckweed and fingerprinty glass from the kiddos.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, Atitagain said:

this is hard for me to figure out how to word this because I am absolutely wrong but I’m gonna try and defend myself anyway.🤪

I have always been leery of using cinder blocks for aquarium stands. I know their safe and as you add weight it makes them lock together. I’ve even seen testing of how safe they are, I can’t find the video but I’m 99% sure it was @Zenzo at tazawa tanks who posted it. But to me I see it’s not bolted to anything, no mortar, and just a single block wide sometimes up too 8 high. Again I understand they are safe and have been used for a long time it just seems like if I just bumped it, that could make it wobble and fall. And if you wanna go with the 8x8x8 to me, seems like a much greater risk. 
Another thing that really bothers me about these set ups , the 2x4s are always laying flat. Will they hold that weight like that I guess but a 2x4 is meant to stand up, In this application.

with all that said understand I am a carpenter 95% of the time my first thought to any problem “how do I fix/ build this out of wood?” 
All my racks are made of 2x4s and 2x6. I used a lot of extra screws and made sure all weight transfers down the legs to the floor. Not sure of the price savings to use blocks but the security I feel from building mine from wood is worth the price. 

the key thing is, you really only need to support the ends of the tank, so the 2x4 is really there to act as a buffer between the tank, and cinder block.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:48 AM, lefty o said:

the key thing is, you really only need to support the ends of the tank, so the 2x4 is really there to act as a buffer between the tank, and cinder block.

Lol yea I get it, just as a carpenter it makes my head go a little sideways every time I see it. 😂🤣😂

On 1/29/2022 at 10:19 AM, Atitagain said:

Lol yea I get it, just as a carpenter it makes my head go a little sideways every time I see it. 😂🤣😂

i get ya, its appearance is not one that instills confidence, despite it actually being fairly solid.

I appreciate the suggestions so far from everyone. I picked up the tank this afternoon. Only $65 on marketplace which is pretty good. Not setting it up yet, got to figure out the stand issue. I currently don't need to built the stand for anything else (unless other bargains come up) so for now it can wait. Open to more fish suggestions, and importantly, feedback on a stand build. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:16 PM, MyFish said:

2x4 stand - check out some YouTube videos.  Then you. An paint it any color. You need a weight support on corners and center.

a 90 fully set up weighs over 1000 pounds. My concern is, will a 2x4 cinder block stand support its weight? And with the traditional cinder block being 2 inches too short, will using 3 8x8x8 cinder blocks to cover those extra two inches make the stand weaker?  

Cement is tough! They make cinderblock basement walls that support an entire house, however these are held together by mortar and 2x8 beams on top.  I’m sure it will work. You need to find the right combination.  Do you have pictures of the blocks?

I would not stack blocks without mortaring them.  I realize you wish to have something inexpensive and do not wish to purchase a stand because you’ll need that money for your 90 gallon tank supplies.  

if I had a 90 I would make a 2z4 stand. I realize wood had gone through the roof in price.  You may wish to stop into any fish store and ask about making the stand out of the blocks you have.

Edited by MyFish

On 1/30/2022 at 8:07 AM, MyFish said:

Cement is tough! They make cinderblock basement walls that support an entire house, however these are held together by mortar and 2x8 beams on top.  I’m sure it will work. You need to find the right combination.  Do you have pictures of the blocks?

I would not stack blocks without mortaring them.  I realize you wish to have something inexpensive and do not wish to purchase a stand because you’ll need that money for your 90 gallon tank supplies.  

if I had a 90 I would make a 2z4 stand. I realize wood had gone through the roof in price.  You may wish to stop into any fish store and ask about making the stand out of the blocks you have.

I've watched Cory's videos which were where I got the idea in the first place. 🙂 Wood isn't too expensive where I live so 2x4s are an option. I don't have blocks currently, I was looking at sizes online. When I was referring to the 8x8x8s I was looking at standard, hollowed out 8x8x8 blocks 

Edited by Basement Fishroom Bargains
clarifying information