Would dwarf petricola catfish survive and thrive in softer water?

Gannon

Just as the title states. My tank paramters have a ph of 7.4-7.6 which seems to be good for these guys, but would a kh of 4-5 degrees and a gh of 7-8 degrees be acceptable? 

If not... 

I have denison barbs and clouded archerfish in the tank they would go in. I use RODI water so I can adjust the water parameters in water changes. What would be an ideal set of parameters for these fish to live together in? Or is it impossible? 

Synodontis Lucipinnis (Dwarf Petricola) are hardier and less sensitive to softer water than true Synodontis Petricola, and I think it should be fine. I keep a group of four lucipinnis in my 55 gallon tank, and my municipal water this season has a GH of 0-1 and KH of 10... I add some minerals to kick it up to 5-6 dGH and they have no issues whatsoever. Growing nicely, too. I bought them when they were only about 1 inch long and they're breaking 3 inches now. 🙂

I love these guys, and I hope you will, too. They are so much fun to watch. Super fast, super elegant fish.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, laritheloud said:

Synodontis Lucipinnis (Dwarf Petricola) are hardier and less sensitive to softer water than true Synodontis Petricola, and I think it should be fine. I keep a group of four lucipinnis in my 55 gallon tank, and my municipal water this season has a GH of 0-1 and KH of 10... I add some minerals to kick it up to 5-6 dGH and they have no issues whatsoever. Growing nicely, too. I bought them when they were only about 1 inch long and they're breaking 3 inches now. 🙂

I love these guys, and I hope you will, too. They are so much fun to watch. Super fast, super elegant fish.

I heard from a few sources those that kh is the thing they are picky for and that a higher value like that is what they look for. I’ll give them a shot if I find them, hoping for the best!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, laritheloud said:

Fingers crossed for you! They're wonderful fish, not picky to feed and just so fun. A really neat alternative bottom feeder to the usual corydoras (which I also love)!

Figured their size and likely more aggressive eating habits would be a better fit than cories to go with my Denison barbs and archer fish.

unless they are timid eaters?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 7:23 PM, Gannon said:

Figured their size and likely more aggressive eating habits would be a better fit than cories to go with my Denison barbs and archer fish.

unless they are timid eaters?

Absolutely not timid at all. They leap right into the fray and don't care what the other fish are doing. Just get a good group of them and you're golden.

• Like 1