Rehoming Fish

PattysAquatics

So have a question. My step son got out of the hobby and took down his tanks and was going to throw his fish in the garbage so I told him no and I would take them. Now I have 10 tanks but they are mostly 29 gallons and he has some fish that get bigger. (3 oscars around 8-9 inches , Jack Dempsey, firemouth, convict, feather fin catfish, and a blood parrot ) I have them separated into these tanks which I setup for different fish which are on hold till I can find something to do with them. I couldn’t let him just kill them. Where can I reach out or advertise to see who would take them. I dont have any local fish clubs and the only fish store is a petsmart that won’t take them. Thanks in advance 

I take in a bunch of rescue fish and almost always see them on Craigslist. I do see them on Offer Up and Facebook sometimes, but since it's specifically against their rules, they're usually taken down pretty fast.

Definitely give Craigslist a shot, just keep in mind that you are prone to getting some odd replies from there.

I remember one lady that was moving and needed to rehome her fish was also very interested in making me aware that she also offered "in home massages" that "ended happily". 

For the most part though, it usually is just another hobbyist looking for a better home for their fish. 

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, Grizzly said:

So have a question. My step son got out of the hobby and took down his tanks and was going to throw his fish in the garbage so I told him no and I would take them. Now I have 10 tanks but they are mostly 29 gallons and he has some fish that get bigger. (3 oscars around 8-9 inches , Jack Dempsey, firemouth, convict, feather fin catfish, and a blood parrot ) I have them separated into these tanks which I setup for different fish which are on hold till I can find something to do with them. I couldn’t let him just kill them. Where can I reach out or advertise to see who would take them. I dont have any local fish clubs and the only fish store is a petsmart that won’t take them. Thanks in advance 

You could take them to your local fish store if you have one. They might even give you some credit back depending on whether there's a high demand for the fish you are giving them, though I wouldn't count on it