Sponge filter Vs. Hang on back filter

BLOBfish

I use both on different setups, they both have pros and cons. Hobs are great if you need mechanical filtration and you can modify what you want to put in media wise, but they are also bigger and take up space on the outside of the tank. Sponge filters are easy to hide inside the tank plus they can help with oxygenation and if you don't want to much flow in the tank, but they don't really help with mechanical filtration and need to be cleaned a bit more often as they can get clogged. 

The choice of which to use is really a personal preference base on the setup and what fish you want to keep. I know that some people use both in some of their tank. 

• Like 3

For me the downside of the HOB with a fully planted tank is the wide flow isn’t great for tall, delicate plants like Rotala. The upside is the excellent mechanical filtration. 

What I find annoying about the sponge filters is the splash from the bubbles, but that has more to do with my not having lids on all my tanks than anything wrong with the filter. They can actually provide a decent flow. The Aquarium Co-op version creates more flow than the other brands that use a finer sponge. 

• Like 4

On 1/27/2022 at 10:09 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

When I need flow I like HOB or canister. When I want less flow I like the sponge. All my shrimp tanks are sponge. My corys and plecos love flow so I’ve got HOB or canister on their setups. 

Another filtration method is undergravel filters. I have them on several setups and I’m a fan. 

This is how I determine as well

• Like 2

I use both depends on what I’m doing.  I do have the say that I have a 75 gal that is old school that has an undergravel filter. I have always liked them but I added the power heads and it is the clears and best it has ever been. That said it has been a lot of work because I just tossed them on and the water can go from you can’t see through the dirted tank to clear in 20 mins. I’m going to do my 200 with one as soon as the new stand gets build. I’m trying to figure if I’m going to try to add some tubing under it to suck out the muck to clean.

• Like 1

I run both types in my tank.  I use the Aquarium Co-op sponge filter for biological filtration and the HOB for mechanical filtration.  My HOB is an aquaclear 50 that I removed all the stock media and run pinky floss filters that do a great job of polishing the water.

StanF

• Like 3

I've used both and in terms of filtration I like them equally. When it comes to maintenance though I find the HOB easier. I use Aquaclear filters and I find it very easy to just pull out the media basket while I'm changing water and squeeze out the sponges in the bucket of tank water and put it back. I can do this without disturbing the tank at all. I only take the whole filter to the sink for a thorough rinse every couple of months. Personally I am terrible at getting sponge filters out of the tank without making a huge mess. So, as others have said above it mostly comes down to personal preference and what works for your tank(s) and your routine. Sounds like a fun tank. Enjoy!

• Like 2

My overall preference is HOBs because I just find the maintenence easier (I am TERRIBLE at getting sponge filters out without making a mess of the tank or snagging 15 guppies while I'm at it--it's on my list of chores to do today, and I'm already dreading it).  With HOBs I just pull the media basket, take it to the sink, rinse (I have well water--no chlorine to worry about), put the clean media back in, and done.  My Tidal 110 on my 95 gallon is my favorite (holds a ton of media and is nice and quiet, but I also have a couple of cheap Tetra Whisper IQs on smaller tanks that work great.  They've been going for years.  For me, quiet and self-priming are the features I care about most.  

I do also have 2 sponges in my 95 gallon, mainly for the added aeration and to help with flow on the side of the tank that doesn't have the HOB.  They're fine, but I've had to replace the nano pumps that run them multiple times (it is a really deep tank which probably affects this) and I hate cleaning them, put it off too long because I hate doing it, etc..  I have a sponge on my 10 gallon grow out because it just seemed like the way to go with a mostly fry tank.  I don't mind cleaning the sponges on my 5 and 10 gallon tanks--they're small and easy enough to take out without a mess, and it seems like a HOB would be overkill there.  So, my answer is similar to others, except that I'd say that HOBs are my go-to preference maintainence-wise.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 9:37 PM, Patrick_G said:

What I find annoying about the sponge filters is the splash from the bubbles, but that has more to do with my not having lids on all my tanks than anything wrong with the filter. They can actually provide a decent flow. The Aquarium Co-op version creates more flow than the other brands that use a finer sponge. 

Take a lid from a fountain drink, feed the air line through the hole for the straw, and let it float on top of the water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

Howdy all,

Glad I found this thread. I have a 90 gallon tank that I plan on replacing the two HOB with Sponge filters. I have two Marineland Penguin 350 Bio-wheels on the tank. How many sponge filters should I use? Three of the large 40-60 gallon sponge filters?

Does someone have another suggestion? FYI - my water movement is provided by an 8 inch air stone bar that I have set up parallel to the right side of the tank, so I don’t need a HOB for that. 

A tank of that size screams for a canister. Flow, capacity ability to provide a large amount of surface area for beneficial bacteria. I’d do a single Eheim 2262, Fluval FX6 or an FX4 really would be just fine. I’d do 3 large sponge filters 1 in each corner and another in the center of the tank. Done and done. 
My other favorite is mattenfilters, particularly corner mattenfilters, they can house heaters and other equipment and are just awesome. The Jetlifters from Swiss Tropicals is no joke! Amazing. 

• Like 1

I feel BOTH is really the only way to go. I like to have at least one of each in a tank. If you the power goes out, the sponge filter restarts without priming. If you want to take a look at what is being filter out of the water, the HOB media shows you. If you only clean one of the 2, at a water change, your not likely to kill you cycle (like I did when I clean both). I like extra sponge filters for starting other tanks and extra HOB for nitrogen eating plant like lucky bamboo or a leafy turnip. (I should get some of those going again. Handle the turnip from the veggie dept at the store gently, a hard bump will give a place for rot to start. Once the leaves are out, the roots really gobble the nitrogen and look interesting growing down from the spillway. Fry love hiding in them.) 

• Like 1

I use both  most times and i love  both  i like to have the filter for the  flow and being able to add the media iI like to use for the tank

I like the sponge it helps places that have dead spots  and needs a little more help with flow   plus it  helps the hangback collect the  mess in  the tank  plus the sponge helps  if you need to start a new tank in a hurry to seed it ,, and if the electric goes out the sponge will continue to work with a battery air pump 

plus my pelcos  loves the sponge  ,, mater fact i have a filter  and 2 sponges 

But  on smaller tanks 10 gallon or below  i think sponge only is better it does not take as much space and cause less flow  on my 10 gallon shrimp tank   i have only  have a sponge 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 9:00 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

A tank of that size screams for a canister. Flow, capacity ability to provide a large amount of surface area for beneficial bacteria. I’d do a single Eheim 2262, Fluval FX6 or an FX4 really would be just fine. I’d do 3 large sponge filters 1 in each corner and another in the center of the tank. Done and done. 
My other favorite is mattenfilters, particularly corner mattenfilters, they can house heaters and other equipment and are just awesome. The Jetlifters from Swiss Tropicals is no joke! Amazing. 

Actually, I have never really been interested in a canister filter, but that could be because I have never had one.  I have always liked my HOBs but because of the potential of fry from my Angels and hopefully my Cories, I'm really considering all Sponge filters.  The mattenfilter is a great idea, but I didn't want to make that much fuss with my current plant layout and I would have to disturb well established plants in one of my back corners if I implemented a mattenfilter.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:00 PM, KittenFishMom said:

...I like extra sponge filters for starting other tanks...  

I agree.  It always helps to have them around in case of an emergency.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:11 AM, Bev C said:

I use both  most times and i love  both  i like to have the filter for the  flow and being able to add the media iI like to use for the tank

I don't need the help for flow.  My 8 inch air stone provides quite enough flow, but you are right having the HOB to have a place to hide a bag of crushed coral or over things is helpful.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Love 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, The Killer of Fish said:

Actually, I have never really been interested in a canister filter, but that could be because I have never had one.  I have always liked my HOBs but because of the potential of fry from my Angels and hopefully my Cories, I'm really considering all Sponge filters.  

An inlet sponge on the inlet for an HOB or canister make things pretty fry-safe.  Just don't get the Tidal HOB.

• Like 1