Chili Rasboras... To add, or not to add... to the shrimp sanctuary?

Minanora

I went to my LFS today. They had the Chili Rasboras! I have 8 of them now. I'm about to put them into quarantine. As a lot of you know, I have a bunch of young orange shrimp, neocaridina. Between 3-5 weeks old across the four broods. See below for their hiding areas and sizes.

Is it safe to put the rasboras in with the shrimp? I have seen mixed responses. So I'm here, in our community, to get even more mixed responses. 😛

20220126_080623.jpg.747728b3f55e451c7f9b62c5e532d3e4.jpg

20220126_080600.jpg.9ff867b53b4a6d7338ac1f5da69559af.jpg

Also there are lots worms and copepods in the shrimp tank.

Thus the desire to add the rasboras to eat them for me.

• Like 1

@Guppysnail & @Shrimp Doggy Dogg thank you for the input.

I am enjoying watching the chili's. I'm quarantining them, but after they're done I'll add them in with the shrimps. I really want them to eat all of the copepods. Copepods are cool and all but they're distracting in a shrimp tank. The chili's already ate all of the copepods in the quarantine tank and they've been in there less than a whole day!

• Like 3

On 1/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, Shrimp Doggy Dogg said:

I’d like to add that if you use a coarse sponge filter, most, if not all of the shrimplets will live deep inside the sponge.  They will be very safe in there, but you will probably want to be extra careful when you’re servicing your sponge.

Good luck!

This is a good point. I do use a coarse sponge filter in the shrimp tank. However it is a nano one. But I have a second medium coming that's for the 75. So there will be two in that tank. That makes me feel better about putting shrimp in there when I split the colony.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Chili’s are micro predators and will only eat very small shrimplets essentially those that are just born. If you can consider adding a couple rock piles what LRB calls a nursery to help. Mom’s usually give birth on there and the shrimplets go down into the crevices of the rocks. I use medium lava rocks both red and black as well as use some local obsidian to make these formations. I’ve also seen Mark’s Shrimp Tanks using the ceramic media rings in piles in a similar fashion. 95F5C4DF-840F-4574-AD7F-724A01724689.jpeg.db412f10510ff8c077892f55e44f9263.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/27/2022 at 6:41 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Chili’s are micro predators and will only eat very small shrimplets essentially those that are just born. If you can consider adding a couple rock piles what LRB calls a nursery to help. Mom’s usually give birth on there and the shrimplets go down into the crevices of the rocks. I use medium lava rocks both red and black as well as use some local obsidian to make these formations. I’ve also seen Mark’s Shrimp Tanks using the ceramic media rings in piles in a similar fashion. 95F5C4DF-840F-4574-AD7F-724A01724689.jpeg.db412f10510ff8c077892f55e44f9263.jpeg

Another great idea. I have plenty of extra media rings as well and lava rocks!

I've lost two of the eight chili's. And one more is going to pass soon. The other five are doing great.

Their quarantine is at 6.8 pH, 8GH, 4KH. No ammonia, no nitrite, 5 nitrate. One looked to have been injured while being caught, the other two ... I can't tell. Looked like stress. One of the happy ones has ich or cotton, but I'm not sure. LFS kept them at 6.8 was well. I'm going to start the trio tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, Shrimp Doggy Dogg said:

I’d like to add that if you use a coarse sponge filter, most, if not all of the shrimplets will live deep inside the sponge.  They will be very safe in there, but you will probably want to be extra careful when you’re servicing your sponge.

Good luck!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm planning a shrimp-and-chili tank and was doing research (that is, browsing the ACO Forum) when I came across this comment about cleaning sponge filters. I've only had Amano shrimp, so this has never been a concern for me, but I am planning to run an ACO coarse sponge filter. So how do you clean it if it's full of tiny, hidden shrimplets? The only thing I can think of is to siphon out some water into a white bucket, then gently shake/swish the sponge in that bucket. Is there some trick I'm not thinking of?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 7:22 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

So how do you clean it if it's full of tiny, hidden shrimplets? The only thing I can think of is to siphon out some water into a white bucket, then gently shake/swish the sponge in that bucket. Is there some trick I'm not thinking of?

Yeah. The baby shrimp love to hide in that sponge.

I end up doing it in a bucket because the sponges, course especially, always dumps a lot of the debris back into the tank, but I just do a similar method as mark where you lift the sponge in and out of the water and the have to get off. Second tip is to use light, a bright one like a flashlight because that is usually going to encourage them to leave the filter material.... Eventually. The third tip is that you really have to be thorough and check the inside of the sponge too and not just the outside. The shrimp love to get in there and treat the inside opening the same as the outer opening.

Marineland has prefilters as well, they might work a bit better with shrimp.  I have one on my tank and it will have baby shrimp soon, but the other shrimp don't get stuck in the material as easily so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have currently got the reverse going on in my tanks (shrimp added to fish santuary so to speak). Guppies and Ember Tetras. Now I JUST now have a preggo female shrimp so I don't know about babies yet but so far so good. The fish don't seem to pay them any mind. I really think Chilis would be the same. 

On 8/18/2023 at 7:22 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm planning a shrimp-and-chili tank and was doing research (that is, browsing the ACO Forum) when I came across this comment about cleaning sponge filters. I've only had Amano shrimp, so this has never been a concern for me, but I am planning to run an ACO coarse sponge filter. So how do you clean it if it's full of tiny, hidden shrimplets? The only thing I can think of is to siphon out some water into a white bucket, then gently shake/swish the sponge in that bucket. Is there some trick I'm not thinking of?

Well I'm guessing you wouldn't have a problem with a fine sponge, but if you're set on the coarse one, there are probably a number of ways to service it while being mindful of the babies.  I like to age about a gallon of tap water in a 5 gallon bucket for at least 24 hours. Then I gently shake the sponge while dipping it in and out of the water for about 30 seconds.  Then I keep the sponge near the surface and start squeezing and shaking gently until I'm satisfied.  Then I wait about two weeks for the babies to grow a bit in the bucket.  And finally I net them and put them back in the tank with the rest.

My process probably sounds unrealistic and over the top.  It's just what I like to do.  I'm guessing its far more common to either not be aware of the babies in the sponge, or simply to pretend their not there and that works too!

Good luck!

• Thanks 1