Mudskipper and Walking Catfish breeding processes

Native Keeper

Hi everyone!

I'm currently working on a fun project that involves the speculative evolution of wild Betta splendens (let me know if yall would like to see it once I'm done writing it!). 

One of the roads I'm taking it is the speculation of an isolated population becoming amphibious to have access to more food. I'm currently using things like Mudskippers and Walking Catfish (Clarias batrachus) as references for this concept, since these fish commonly breathe atmospheric oxygen.

A problem I've run into is that there seems to be no good info on the breeding process of these fish online, from what I've found. All of it is about captive breeding, not wild behavior.

So, if anyone has info on how Mudskipper and/or Walking Catfish breed, please leave it down in the comments. Any courting info would also be really helpful!

• Administrators
On 1/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, HydraSlayer said:

Hi everyone!

I'm currently working on a fun project that involves the speculative evolution of wild Betta splendens (let me know if yall would like to see it once I'm done writing it!). 

One of the roads I'm taking it is the speculation of an isolated population becoming amphibious to have access to more food. I'm currently using things like Mudskippers and Walking Catfish (Clarias batrachus) as references for this concept, since these fish commonly breathe atmospheric oxygen.

A problem I've run into is that there seems to be no good info on the breeding process of these fish online, from what I've found. All of it is about captive breeding, not wild behavior.

So, if anyone has info on how Mudskipper and/or Walking Catfish breed, please leave it down in the comments. Any courting info would also be really helpful!

As a mudskipper keeper myself, I am interested in this. Through my searches and readings, I have not been able to find many people that have successfully bred them. Here is a video that mimics wild behavior (albeit still in an aquarium).