I have a Dwarf aquarium lilly bulb that was going well for a while- even sprouted off two new plants! At some point the leaves died off and I assumed I could leave the bulb in there and wait for it to sprout back up, but it's been like 6 months with no signs of growth. The bulb itself does have one soft spot, but is mostly pretty firm similar to when I got it more than a year ago. Could this bulb benefit from being dried out, or placed in the fridge for a bit? Perhaps that would kick start the "hey, it's spring! Time to sprout!"

Similar story for my Dwarf tiger lotus, although that one was never very strong to begin with, as well an aponogeton species. Will drying these out or fridging be a good choice?

On 1/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, Tanked said:

Not a bulb plant, but the Banana plant I purchased in October put out 1 leaf and went dormant.   All of the leaves eventually died, but the tubers are still green and firm.  So if someone knows how to wake it up...

The same thing happened with my anubias, the leaves have been gone for a few years now but the rhizome is still firm and green. I see little stubs starting to grow but nothing yet.

I recently removed a mushy, rotten aponogeton bulb from my tank and it's like a snail: as soon as it's out of water you'll know it's dead. 🤮

• Like 1

I have only recently ventured into bulb plants in my tanks so I don’t know if this will work but wanted to share info from my terrestrial gardening hobby. Many bulbs need to dry and be cold the warming of spring then wakes them up. My thought was to remove my bulbs if and when they go dormant. Place them on top of a bit of peat moss coconut shreds or the similar (the stuff terrestrial bulbs come packaged in when store bought) and place them in the refrigerator in a brown paper bag for 4-6 weeks. My grandmother used to dig all hers up each winter (severe winters) and store them this way in her root cellar. She was into gardening clubs etc and always had prize winning flowers among her group. 

• Like 2