shrimp for sunfish

Native Keeper

Hi everyone!

I recently found out my Longear Sunfish enjoys eating Ghost Shrimp, and they're the perfect size for him! So, here's my question:

Does anyone know where I could buy frozen shrimp that are Ghost Shrimp sized? I figure it'd be great extra protein and calcium for him, as well as spice up hi diet.

If you can, send me a link to any products that you might know, thx!

Zoomed sells a can of freshwater river shrimp https://zoomed.com/can-o-shrimp-fish-food/

I feed my flowerhorn shrimp intended for human consumption.  I buy them frozen and the price per pound is a better deal than the omega freeze dried and zoomed canned shrimp I was using previously.  It may be worth looking into, I buy it at a restaurant supply store (GFS) and it is sold by how many shrimp make up a pound. You could try the smallest (most shrimp per pound) and if they are too big cut them into pieces. https://gfsstore.com/products/623861/

• Like 1

All the sunfish I have ever known, love scuds. When I was a kid, every sunfish I cleaned have a stomach full of them. My little ones in my native tanks hover over the stones I have over the substrate at the end of my tank waiting for a scud to appear. I seed the tank often with scud I raise. The scuds race to the bottom with the fish chasing them. I was still catching them in part of the stream that where not iced over in January. These are a big variety of scuds, but they start out small, so you get all sizes. 

I also get all size brine shrimp from my brine shrimp colony. Every time I hatch the brine shrimp. I use about 80% of the water that is left after harvesting and add it to my colony. (I toss out the 20% with the shells)  The water is full of hatched and unhatched eggs. I put in a a slow weighted air hose in the container, no air stone, and a heater this time of year. I feed them "Brine Shrimp Direct Spirulina Powder", dashes of fish food now and then. and a Welco Wonder shell. They mature in about 3 weeks and start making more shrimp. I also added "Chaeto macro algae Live Coral Reef Sps Softies Marine Tank" to help clean the water. It is fun watching the "sea monkeys" swimming around. Fish love them.