How do stores set up ro and de-chlorine systems ?

anewbie

On 1/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, ScottieB said:

Yeah, that’s exactly it. Your right all all accounts.

But for most RO units you don’t need to the auto shut off solenoid which is the extra white piece that the RO tubbing would connect to. It prob wont harm anything but I like to limit the connections and points of failure. Most good RO units sold (Bulk Reef Supply, spectrapure  and prob others) have an auto-shut off built in since most are run like the way we’re talking about.

Once the float valve floats up the back pressure would automatically turn off the RO unit. The water and the pressure is still keeping the RO unit effectively primed so that when the valve drops the water starts flowing again. Honestly it’s simplicity is beautiful. Some RO units though have an automatic “flush” system that washes off the actual membrane and helps prolong the life of the membrane. You can’t really use this type of system and flush the membrane automatically. You can flush it manually by flipping a valve on the unit that may find. Lastly you will have to replace the membrane and the media when your TDS creeps up. That’s more dependent on the TDS coming out of your tap.

Yes, I was a little weary about reaching into the tank to screw the other side of the float valve in the but with that tank empty and laying flat it was pretty easy. Just use a flat surface to get a good contact. The closer to the top you put it the more water you can get in there.

Mine has been running for a couple years (4ish) and the tank is still super clean. I don’t have any issues with mold. I suppose you could always use a splash of bleach then rinse it a few times, some dechlorinator and clean it that way. It’s designed to hold drinking water and technically “food grade”. 

Thanks scott(ie). This has been a huge help. I think I'll likely go with the 260 container simply because you know it works also it might be hard to get the 500 into the room.  Still debating if i should put a pressurize tank in the loop but i think that is optional. spectra has a 1:1 ro unit so i think i'll chat with them and see how they get the waste down to 1 and the impact on the membrane. I'm really surprise how little information there is out there - i mean it is all out there if you use wells and other stuff but the pieces are just missing. 

Our tap tds is not too bad at 120; the fellow that sells the declorinator unit thinks it would last 3 to 5 years between carbon change and I'm hopeful the ro unit membrane will last on order of a year - the biggest head-ache is detecting if there is a problem before there is a problem. I want to keep cherry chocolate gourami and my understanding is they have low tolerance to changes in water quality. Anyway tank you again.

• Like 1

You got it! 
I got an email from spectrapure that they temporarily shut down the storefront/showroom (staffing issues) so I don’t know if your get answers on the phone.

The folks at Bulk Reef a supply have good customer service and they sell good RO units too. (I have 2 spectrapure and one large BRS unit). 

Keep us posted! 

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, ScottieB said:

The folks at Bulk Reef a supply have good customer service and they sell good RO units too. (I have 2 spectrapure and one large BRS unit). 

Keep us posted! 

Do you prefer brs or spectra models ? I think I'd prefer one that is 1.5:1 or 1:1 - i know brs has a 1.5:1 so maybe that is an option but my reading suggest spectra are preferred.

Yeah, spectrapure could be better but BRS is kinda like the Aquarium Coop of the saltwater world. They took what they liked and branded their own. Lowered the cost and arguably made it better.

I actually have 2 spectrapure units (including my drinking water system under the sink) and they are great. I did have issues with the “auto flush” and had to disconnect it on the one I use for top off. I also have one of the the 1:1.5 150g per day BRS units and it’s really easy to service and never done me wrong . The media is interchangeable so you can honestly go either way.

The fact that BRS has more availability and spectrapure just closed their store front “until further notice” means I just ordered all my replacement filters on BRS. Just food for thought. 

I do think your doing all the right stuff doing your research. You can also scour the Reef2reef forum for RO advice since they are a staple of the reefing world. 

On 1/29/2022 at 8:12 AM, ScottieB said:

I do think your doing all the right stuff doing your research. You can also scour the Reef2reef forum for RO advice since they are a staple of the reefing world. 

Thank you for the feedback. I actually did check reef2reef and was a bit disappointed with solving the problem of storage tank to faucet for ro water. However, they did have some comment on spectra vs brs and they seem to favor spectra but brs is generally 'good enough'. I'm actually doing the research upfront. I think based on current schedule i have around 8 months before i have to purchase the ro unit so I will see what happens between now and then. There are a lot of moving parts to this project and it is getting a bit messy esp given my lack of knowledge and ability to experiment where i currently live. As background i'll be moving into a new place and will be setting up a pair of 400 gallon tanks  - but i have to get everything running before i can finish the move since i need to tear down my current aquariums when i move. Gonna be a lot of work i guess. Hopefully nothing will go wrong and things will just work as i hope (finger crossed).

• Like 1