Hair algae????

yes that the horrible hair alge i had the problem to and it was 10 times worse than you the thing is maintain good water quality and remove it every time you can in the long run it will start to go down put some mystery snails and that should get rid of it

• Like 1

I've been dealing with that too but in my case it more closely resembles water silk (there is a thread on it). But, if I leave the silk and increase my ferts it will become thick and green. Im currently battling the silk by cleaning my filter (replacing sponges), increasing circulation and this week im starting cutting back severely on Eazy Green and Feeding (phosphates). Also its easiest to clean manually by swirling a new toothbrush in the affected areas. 

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, DLBELL1969 said:

This is the setup I've been running for over a year.

20220124_101929.jpg

20220124_102117.jpg

I have no idea how to read that either, lol, but if you have your lights on for a considerable amount of time, the first thing I would try is reducing the light period, just as @H.K.Luterman suggested. I had a terrible algae outbreak and it's all but gone after a few weeks now just by reducing my lighting to six hours. 

• Like 1

D31F003F-1268-487C-AFA3-5B369BB44A69.jpeg.a15e4e1f8d94e92a70b26979b9590e4b.jpeg

I do what they call a siesta in the middle of the day for 3 hours so my lights are on for 4 hours in the morning and I do 4 hours in the afternoon,evening. This way my tank is getting 8 hours total light but the lights are on before and after my work. It looks like your lights are on for 14 hours which would be a reason for your hair algae. I would bring them down to 6-7 hours total then you can increase slowly after things are clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Bentley Pascoe’s daylight sim settings on my lights and have pretty good luck with it. Your blue looks to be a little high which may be causing the hair algae to take hold. You can take a look at this thread and see if you can get any ideas as well. 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

I don't know how to read that diagram, lol! But hair algae loves light. Five hours a day is really all plants need. 

The time is on the bottom and brightness is on the sides. 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:58 AM, Edsland said:

I do what they call a siesta in the middle of the day for 3 hours so my lights are on for 4 hours in the morning and I do 4 hours in the afternoon,evening. This way my tank is getting 8 hours total light but the lights are on before and after my work. It looks like your lights are on for 14 hours which would be a reason for your hair algae. I would bring them down to 6-7 hours total then you can increase slowly after things are clear. 

Thank you. I think I'm gonna try a blackout period then I'll set up the siesta period. I had a lower light period but evidently not low enough.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:58 AM, Edsland said:

I redid my light settings. Does this look more like what you were telling me about?

20220125_224748.jpg

Better it’s just if you add up the total time lights are on its 5 hours then 6 off then 6 more on. 11 hours per day is a pretty long time. You lowered the intensity to about 35 which is good to start. Do you know what your nitrate reading is?