snails

big bear

Hi @big bear Nerites are some of my most favorite inhabitants- there are some "rules" as you don't want to run out of potential food for them, Nerites don't really eat any commercial foods or prepared foods they pretty much subsist on the tank's biofilm and algae. So for example I only have 1 Nerite in my 4 gallon, and 1 Nerite in my Flex which is ultimately about 7 gallons. In one 20 gallon I have 3 and there is not a speck of algae so I won't add any more. My OTHER 20 gallon has quite a lot of algae/film and growth so I have about 5 Nerites. So the rule is: It depends! If you want further advice about what to do in your case, post a pic, how many gallons and what's in the tank! 🙂 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

It's great to have a "per gallon" answer but, again, this depends on what's in the tank. For example, if you have Oto, or another algae eaters you have to consider this. If there are NO algae eaters it's another answer.  How old is the tank, are there any potential predators etc. Each tank will have a different answer.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 1/23/2022 at 5:06 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi @big bear Nerites are some of my most favorite inhabitants- there are some "rules" as you don't want to run out of potential food for them, Nerites don't really eat any commercial foods or prepared foods they pretty much subsist on the tank's biofilm and algae. So for example I only have 1 Nerite in my 4 gallon, and 1 Nerite in my Flex which is ultimately about 7 gallons. In one 20 gallon I have 3 and there is not a speck of algae so I won't add any more. My OTHER 20 gallon has quite a lot of algae/film and growth so I have about 5 Nerites. So the rule is: It depends! If you want further advice about what to do in your case, post a pic, how many gallons and what's in the tank! 🙂 

Excellent advice! I'm planning my 20L and was thinking two nerites and two mystery snails but I'll be more patient when it gets set up to see what I'm actually working with and who will be happy there. Thank you!! 

• Thanks 1

I was a bit nervous about mine initially because they were going into tanks that hadn't been set up terribly long - but I hit a big algae bloom around week 4 that made me feel better that they have enough to feed on.

I've have 2 in one 5gal setup (a long with any number of pest snails) since September 21 and they are doing great. I also have one in another 5 gal that also has a ton of pest snails and frequent algae issues because of where it is relative to southern exposure windows. They have never touched sinking pellets or any other food and I do still do some glass cleaning, but they are great at keeping my hardscape clean. After 4 months with no eggs I decided I had all males... but then they left their egg "glitter" in both tanks in December!