Basement Fishroom Journal

Hey all,

So I figured I'd show everyone what the fishroom looks like at the moment as well as take advantage of the ability to journal to remind myself what I did and when. I may also use this as a way to take notes on the lineages of my fish and keep track of breeding records. With that said, here is the fishroom right now.

The two standalone ten gallons are both filled with Xenotoca doadroi who have literally bred faster than any guppies I've ever owned.  Probably going to list some on Aquabid once I get comfortable shipping fish. 

The larger group of tanks consists of 3 30s, a 20, 5 tens, and 6 5s. Some of the 5s are vacant as yet (probably going to be used as fry tanks unless I can find something small I want to breed in them. Suggestions welcome.) The nearest 30 is Neolamprologus brevis, sunspot, and African blue-striped barbs. The twenty is a pair of Apistogramma panduro, three red lizard cats, and six marbled hatchetfish (I think its still six, they're impossible to find in the floating anacharis). The large rack has platies, guppies, swordtails, mollies, A. mcmasteri, and convicts. The far 30 pair have Kribs, cherry barbs, a very slowly breeding species of Priapella, Poecilia picta, an Oto, and a group of panda corries I never see. Every tank has at minimum floating plants, and some have planted ones as well. 

Its not quite done, I need to install a light on the bottom row of tanks for the plants there. I'd consider adding more but I'm running out of electrical outlets and I'm supposed to get some work done in the basement soon (ish) so no more tanks for now. I'll update once I get the light installed with a photo of the rack.  

IMG_20220122_161224.jpg.705c4fe45aa6e27310446558519ad547.jpg

IMG_20220122_161217.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 1/22/2022 at 4:49 PM, Basement Fishroom Bargains said:

Hey all,

So I figured I'd show everyone what the fishroom looks like at the moment as well as take advantage of the ability to journal to remind myself what I did and when. I may also use this as a way to take notes on the lineages of my fish and keep track of breeding records. With that said, here is the fishroom right now.

The two standalone ten gallons are both filled with Xenotoca doadroi who have literally bred faster than any guppies I've ever owned.  Probably going to list some on Aquabid once I get comfortable shipping fish. 

The larger group of tanks consists of 3 30s, a 20, 5 tens, and 6 5s. Some of the 5s are vacant as yet (probably going to be used as fry tanks unless I can find something small I want to breed in them. Suggestions welcome.) The nearest 30 is Neolamprologus brevis, sunspot, and African blue-striped barbs. The twenty is a pair of Apistogramma panduro, three red lizard cats, and six marbled hatchetfish (I think its still six, they're impossible to find in the floating anacharis). The large rack has platies, guppies, swordtails, mollies, A. mcmasteri, and convicts. The far 30 pair have Kribs, cherry barbs, a very slowly breeding species of Priapella, Poecilia picta, an Oto, and a group of panda corries I never see. Every tank has at minimum floating plants, and some have planted ones as well. 

Its not quite done, I need to install a light on the bottom row of tanks for the plants there. I'd consider adding more but I'm running out of electrical outlets and I'm supposed to get some work done in the basement soon (ish) so no more tanks for now. I'll update once I get the light installed with a photo of the rack.  

IMG_20220122_161224.jpg.705c4fe45aa6e27310446558519ad547.jpg

IMG_20220122_161217.jpg

Love it! Loads of room in there. So happy someone else is breeding X. doadrioi. May I ask: where did you get your original stock? I keep a little colony in a 20-gal long. Once you’ve got a few mature males and a bunch of females, their numbers do indeed jump! 

On 1/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, Fish Folk said:

Love it! Loads of room in there. So happy someone else is breeding X. doadrioi. May I ask: where did you get your original stock? I keep a little colony in a 20-gal long. Once you’ve got a few mature males and a bunch of females, their numbers do indeed jump! 

I got mine through Aquabid about three years ago. They were being sold then as X. eiseni San Marcos, but I dug into it and realized X. eiseni San Marcos had become X. doadroi San Marcos. And yes, their populations are like rabbits...and my experience is, they are effectively bulletproof.  I even had one get caught in a net when I was moving it, broke her spine. She recovered is still living happily and is currently pregnant. When I moved them into the new house, I did not realize the outlet I put them on was on the same switch as the basement light. They went three days without heat or filtration or water movement in a tank I freely admit was overstocked. No casualties.

• Like 1

Looks good so far, that is a nice amount of room. Do you have an air system? Plans on getting one? It seems like you have mostly HOBs do you ever use canister or sponge? And you definitely seem interested in breeding will this be a breeding operation fishroom or will you have show tanks  as well?

On 1/22/2022 at 11:12 PM, Atitagain said:

Looks good so far, that is a nice amount of room. Do you have an air system? Plans on getting one? It seems like you have mostly HOBs do you ever use canister or sponge? And you definitely seem interested in breeding will this be a breeding operation fishroom or will you have show tanks  as well?

No air system, that might be in the future plans (along with an autowater change).  The rack is exclusively sponges and matten filters. Working towards going exclusively to sponge. Most of my equipment is hand-me-down that came with the tanks. As HOB's break, I'm replacing them with Co-op sponge filters. Right now, no show tanks in the room. I have a show tank (55) upstairs in the living room of the house. I may put a big show tank downstairs at some point. I'm gearing up to breed mostly though. 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:16 PM, GameCzar said:

Those fish are gorgeous!  We considered those for @TheCzarista's Wonder Woman tank because of the coloration. 

Presume you mean X. doadroi which, if you do, I agree. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:18 PM, Basement Fishroom Bargains said:

No air system, that might be in the future plans (along with an autowater change).  The rack is exclusively sponges and matten filters. Working towards going exclusively to sponge. Most of my equipment is hand-me-down that came with the tanks. As HOB's break, I'm replacing them with Co-op sponge filters. Right now, no show tanks in the room. I have a show tank (55) upstairs in the living room of the house. I may put a big show tank downstairs at some point. I'm gearing up to breed mostly though. 

Presume you mean X. doadroi which, if you do, I agree. 🙂 

That's the ones, I spotted them on Select Aquatics a while back! 

X. eiseni sm panel 400x681.jpg

On 1/22/2022 at 11:22 PM, GameCzar said:

That's the ones, I spotted them on Select Aquatics a while back! 

X. eiseni sm panel 400x681.jpg

I did as well. When I first got them, I didn't know who Sage was. I may well have bought from him, I don't remember who I got them from originally. 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:31 PM, Griznatch said:

Wow, that's a good amount of space.  Lots of room to grow 🙂

Provided I can find more electrical outlets. 🙂 I need to install a slop sink this spring to make water changes easier because right now I'm lugging buckets downstairs. 🙂 

Just an update, picked up a 90 the other day that was previously used for a turtle. Bit beat up, but holds water. Trying to figure out a stand, as well as placement for it. Right now stock is tbd, but thinking of making this like a mascot tank for the room. I've thought about things like a school of Roseline Sharks, maybe some Archer fish, a ghost knife, a tire track eel or similar type things. It's not going to be set up right away, but that's where my mind is atm.