Transitioning back to regular aquarium from salt quarantine tank

BAT

Hi All,

My betta is healed and I am working to transition him back to his original tank.  I have 2 questions about the transition.

1. I just did the second 30% change (no salt added) and will now wait for a week (per the AqCoop article). Do I have to do any more changes with no salt water?
  2. assuming parameters in new tank are stable and temp is same- anything special I need to do to get him used to the new water?

Thanks!

Beth

On 1/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, BAT said:

Hi All,

My betta is healed and I am working to transition him back to his original tank.  I have 2 questions about the transition.

1. I just did the second 30% change (no salt added) and will now wait for a week (per the AqCoop article). Do I have to do any more changes with no salt water?
  2. assuming parameters in new tank are stable and temp is same- anything special I need to do to get him used to the new water?

Thanks!

Beth

A second, 30% water change is still going to have a little over 30% of the therapeutic dose of salt, so you want to do at *least* one more 30% change. When my betta would fin nip, I learned the hard way to keep him in the QT tank for a month after he healed, doing water changes every 4th to 5th day. Otherwise I was just playing musical aquariums with him as his health would deteriorate if I did too abrupt a removal of salt.

I also learned the hard way, to keep IAL in his main tank.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/22/2022 at 1:29 PM, BAT said:

Hi All,

Thanks!

Beth

Hi All - since my last post I have been doing 30% salt free water changes every 5-7 days in the QT for Cutie. Today I noticed a small hole beginning in his Doral fin where his last fin rot spot had appeared during his recent fin rot episode.  see previous photo where he appears darker. The new photo is where he appears blue. you may have to enlarge photo. I use a magnifying glass to check on him -yes my family rolls their eyes LOL

so I am wondering if I should restart the salt again? I tested the water and there is a smidgen of nitrite - like the water has a hint of purple in the blue. the ammonia is 0. the nitrate is 10.  its a 10G QT. has a sponge filter and is set at 80 degrees with IAL (see yellow tint). no gravel or plants; two huts and a betta log to hide in. behavior same. even flaring more than when he was sick.

thanks!

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

Get rid of that Nitrite asap. It's possible for a fish to recover from fin rot after treatment (meaning meds and salt taking out) as long as there's no fungal signs but the water has to be CLEAN (meaning parameters absolutely perfect) at all times. Maybe you consider this: It really is a judgement call- if you think that's a spot that's healing from prior damage and no signs of fungus etc I might take my chances with just clean water and time with IAL. If you think it's a newer damage I would consider resalting. Make sense?

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX