Yoyo loach looks ill

Luis

Hey everyone, 

I’ve  noticed one of my yo-yo loaches has been acting weird these past 2 days.

he was feeding well and then two nights ago he went into a coconut cave and mostly stayed there. 
he’s breathing quickly, his mouth seems slightly swollen and he just lays around without reacting much. He also looks somewhat pale. 

does someone have any experience they could share to successfully get this guy back to full health? 

looking forward to any help

thanks,

luis.  

image.jpg

I also did a 40% water change yesterday as that’s my first reaction when I notice a fish behaving weirdly. 

image.jpg

I also did a 40% water change yesterday as that’s my first reaction when I notice a fish behaving weirdly. 

image.jpg

Looks like the start of a bacterial infection could be mouth rot I would Qarantine and treat with kanaplex or maracyn2 these are good antibiotics treatments as they are absorbed thought the skin and Gill when fish aren't eating I would check your water parameters just in case something off

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 12:43 PM, Colu said:

Looks like the start of a bacterial infection could be mouth rot I would Qarantine and treat with kanaplex or maracyn2 these are good antibiotics treatments as they are absorbed thought the skin and Gill when fish aren't eating I would check your water parameters just in case something off

Will do that. Just ordered some kanaplex as well as some melafix. I’m at work now so hopefully when I get back he’s alright. I since, moved him to a quarantine tank by himself.
thanks. 

On 1/22/2022 at 4:16 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Luis hate to say this though you've already purchased them, don't bother with Melafix or Pimafix....they fix nothing. I can say that from experience and have read this several times on the forum. 

Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it. 

I’m at work now, and the kanaplex will be arriving within 2 days, would you suggest dosing the 20 litre quarantine tank with small amounts of aquarium salt in the meantime? Or maybe just stick to (?%) of water changes? 

Many thanks

I would QT as planned if it is bacterial infection the sick fish should be moved asap so the infection hopefully doesn't spread. You could still do water changes on the main tank IF you don't have a way to test the water. I would test for Ammonia and Nitrite for sure. 

Yes, you could use salt until the Kanaplex comes- some people won't use salt on "scaleless fish" which yo-yos fit into that category. If you are cautious you could use half dosages. HOWEVER I can say I've used Aquarium Salt at full dose with Otocinclus Catfish (also "scaleless") and they did just fine. Do what is more comfortable for you.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

Can’t wait to get back home and give the lil guy some company. 
mill give the half dosages a go and see how he reacts. 
temperature wise, do you recommend going up to a certain number? 

thanks for your time 🙏

On 1/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, Streetwise said:

Do you have have wood for this Yo-yo loach? Mine lives in the Mopani wood.

It was in a planted 600 litre tank with lots of driftwood . 
now he’s in a 20 litre, with a coconut and a rectangular pot 

• Like 1

Okay I’ve just got home after 10 hours away and he’s still alive!

water temperature is what it was before at 25 degrees celsius (I’m from the UK).

Im planning on adding half a teaspoon of aquarium salt to see how he reacts as his lips seemed very swollen and see how that works. 

here is an image of the quarantine tank right now, to be completely truthful im not sure im the best fish doctor so if anyone could recommend some tips to make this more comfortable for him let me know. 

I just know bare bottom is easier to keep clean and if I plan on introducing salt it’ll have bad effects on my plants if I decide to introduce any. 

All the replies have been super helpful, I really appreciate it!

Luis.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bare bottom totally fine. A lot of us use plastic bins. I use holding tanks sold by our big box pet store over here (that are plastic). So you know, I have a long term patient with popeye in a tank, There is a piece of java fern in there with him and I've used all sorts of meds (including Kanaplex) and salt and Indian Almond leaves, and while the plant is not super happy, is still green/alive (also know I don't run any sort of lighting so the plant probably hates that too)

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Bare bottom totally fine. A lot of us use plastic bins. I use holding tanks sold by our big box pet store over here (that are plastic). So you know, I have a long term patient with popeye in a tank, There is a piece of java fern in there with him and I've used all sorts of meds (including Kanaplex) and salt and Indian Almond leaves, and while the plant is not super happy, is still green/alive (also know I don't run any sort of lighting so the plant probably hates that too)

I have java fern, you reckon I should plop one in there?

Hey everyone, just got home and the lil one was gone. 

He looked like he was getting better, but today when I came back he was stiff and not breathing. 

His mouth looked like it had melted shut. I have no idea what happened. 

if someone recognises this type of death, I’d appreciate any advice for future knowledge 🙏

thanks to everyone who gave their advice 

• Sad 2