Now I just need a tank for it...impulse purchase!

PineSong

I had been watching a hunk of wood on slate on eBay for a while because I love the 1970's driftwood look. I didn't buy it because I don't really have anywhere to put it--the only tanks I have large enough to hold it are already wooded and planted.

But then I did buy it! Isn't it neat? I can't expect my family members to ooh and ahh over it, so I'm posting it here, lol. 

smallwood.JPG.d9f6b7b18d59de20df57ef1ca4947ac2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Love 10

On 1/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, PineSong said:

I had been watching a hunk of wood on slate on eBay for a while because I love the 1970's driftwood look. I didn't buy it because I don't really have anywhere to put it--the only tanks I have large enough to hold it are already wooded and planted.

But then I did buy it! Isn't it neat? I can't expect my family members to ooh and ahh over it, so I'm posting it here, lol. 

smallwood.JPG.d9f6b7b18d59de20df57ef1ca4947ac2.JPG

Gorgeous, and properly paired with the La Croix

• Haha 1

Thanks for the oohs and ahhs, lol. @Patrick_G It would look neat with airplants,but I don't have any room for more houseplants, either. I was thinking I could replace one of my 10g tanks with a 20 so I could fit in that wood, but if I got a 20 long it would take up space that is now used for plants...small house living is like a jigsaw puzzle. Maybe I can sell enough green hair algae to build on a sunporch one day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:35 PM, PineSong said:

could replace one of my 10g tanks with a 20 so I could fit in that wood, but if I got a 20 long it would take up space that is now used for plants...small house living is like a jigsaw puzzle

I hard relate. I want the Costco shelving unit because it will be a smaller floor footprint, while doubling plant and aquarium space. I use a step ladder so even the top shelves are utilized for the shelf unit in my bedroom. 

Now, I want the same in my living room. 2,000 lbs per shelf means larger aquariums and plants on the ends.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, Torrey said:

I hard relate. I want the Costco shelving unit because it will be a smaller floor footprint, while doubling plant and aquarium space. I use a step ladder so even the top shelves are utilized for the shelf unit in my bedroom. 

Now, I want the same in my living room. 2,000 lbs per shelf means larger aquariums and plants on the ends.

Wow, 2000 lbs per shelf is amazing!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 1:10 PM, lefty o said:

i was thinking that is about right sized for a 29g.

On 1/25/2022 at 1:32 PM, Odd Duck said:

That’s a little tall for a 20 long.  Better go for the 29 G.  Same foot print as the 20 long but better frame for that Oooh, Aaaah, piece of driftwood ya got there!

I was thinking the same thing about the 20L being too shallow, but not sure if the furniture that I have the 10g on would support a 29g --What do you all think? It's one of these, with a marble top: 

Sewing Table.jpg

• Love 1

@Odd Duck If you rotate it counter clockwise 90 degrees, and have the slate vertical again the end of a 20 long, would that work?  I think the opening that is on the left and would shift to the bottom would be a wonderful opening to a dimly lit fish cave.  Behind the wood, you could have loosely stacked stones on the sides and back of the cave ( with openings for small fish), and plants growing across the top. If the tips are above the water, they could have plants attached to make islands. with roots drifting in the water

@PineSong I love this piece !  The longer I look at it the more my mind wanders through it. What does that back look like?

You know you're a real fish nerd when you go ooh and ahh over a hunk of wood on slate. LOL. I think your hands were tied on this one. That's a beauty. I think if i saw that one i would of bought it too and just put it in a shelf until one day it met its destiny and ended up in a tank. Congrats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2022 at 1:44 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@Odd Duck If you rotate it counter clockwise 90 degrees, and have the slate vertical again the end of a 20 long, would that work?  I think the opening that is on the left and would shift to the bottom would be a wonderful opening to a dimly lit fish cave.  Behind the wood, you could have loosely stacked stones on the sides and back of the cave ( with openings for small fish), and plants growing across the top. If the tips are above the water, they could have plants attached to make islands. with roots drifting in the water

@PineSong I love this piece !  The longer I look at it the more my mind wanders through it. What does that back look like?

The back looks about like the front. I'd be afraid to have the slate vertical, I think I need to wait for a bigger tank, or redo my 20 high. I do wish I had room for a larger tank, and I do like the sound of a dimly lit fish cave. Or shrimp cave 🙂

On 1/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, PineSong said:

I was thinking the same thing about the 20L being too shallow, but not sure if the furniture that I have the 10g on would support a 29g --What do you all think? It's one of these, with a marble top: 

Sewing Table.jpg

I love that!  Those cast iron sewing machine table frames are plenty strong.  My dad made one into a chair that will easily hold a couple people with one on the lap (total weight more than a full tank weighs).  Make sure there aren’t any cracks in the marble.  Does your stand have the iron rim all the way around the top or is it 2 separate sides?  They were made both ways depending on the brand and style and I’m not enough of an expert to know which is which but I’ve seen them both ways.  If it’s got the supports along the entire rim you should be golden.  If it’s just the sides attached to the marble, you should have a top support frame for the marble to sit on for more support.

Is your table at least 30” long?  That would be perfect for a 29 G!   An’t wait to see what you do with all your components!

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:44 PM, KittenFishMom said:

If you rotate it counter clockwise 90 degrees, and have the slate vertical again the end of a 20 long, would that work? 

I think it might be a bit too big that direction, too.  The soda can is about 4.85” (per google) and the wood looks to be just a bit over 2 cans height in width and 3 cans high.  Unless it’s being used in a bare bottom tank, that wood is 10” wide (or more, can’t quite see the right tip), with 2” of substrate, 12” tall tank, over 10” of wood means it would stick up above the water and hit the tank lid.  It would look cool sideways, too, but it’s clearly destined for a 29 G or at least a 20 G high.  😉 😃 😆 

On 1/26/2022 at 1:12 AM, Odd Duck said:

Make sure there aren’t any cracks in the marble.  Does your stand have the iron rim all the way around the top or is it 2 separate sides?  They were made both ways depending on the brand and style and I’m not enough of an expert to know which is which but I’ve seen them both ways.  If it’s got the supports along the entire rim you should be golden.  If it’s just the sides attached to the marble, you should have a top support frame for the marble to sit on for more support.

Is your table at least 30” long?  That would be perfect for a 29 G!   An’t wait to see what you do with all your components!

It does not have an iron rim all the way around, but there is a solid 1960's wood board between the iron legs and the marble, so the whole slab is supported.

It's actually 38 inches long and 15 inches wide. Other than the tank that sits on my kitchen counter, all of my tanks are on these antique sewing machine stands, so I am glad to hear that they are so sturdy. I love them and luckily in this part of the country they are for sale virtually every day on marketplace and craigslist.

• Love 1