Advice about Micro-Ramshorns/Mini-Ramshorns

willyplantit

Hi there! First time poster here.
My sister has a 20-gallon long that's been set up for several months now. Unfortunately, despite my efforts to inspect and clean them all beforehand, some plants from her LFS brought along a colony of mini-ramshorns. (Note: these are not regular ramshorns, I'm talking about the ones with the clear flat spiral shells that get maybe 2 mm at max size) Her tank is thriving now, with mollies, platies, mystery snails and some newly introduced pink ramshorn snails. However, the mini-ramshorn snails are non-stop breeding machines, and she crushes/removes dozens upon dozens a week. Does anyone have experience with keeping these little hitchhikers under control? Is there a better way to cull the mini-pests without harming the larger snails?

• Like 1

I have had these for years on an off. They do not thrive in my tank. I recently found out from @Biotope Biologistthey are planorbis planorbis. They only multiply to the available food just like regular ramshorns. The new ramshorns will deplete the available food so their breeding will slow and numbers decrease. However if any snail is overpopulating they all will and you will have the same issue with your new ramshorns. Vac up the excess food trim dying leaves etc. cut back on feeding so there is not as much excess in the tank. If you have out of control algae try manual removal of it to limit food source. Good luck. Hoping to see pics of the pink ramshorns. They are way cute. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure of your sister has sand or gravel for a substrate, but sand is really helpful in dealing with them. I was able to make a sift using 1/4 inch wire mesh which I layered to make around 1/8th inch holes. After stapling this to a wood frame and removing all plants and fish from my tank. I was able to sift the sand and remove almost all of the ramshorns. Now there were certainly a few left and unfortunately the population started to rebound so I switched my feeding schedule up. I now feed my fish larger portions of food once every other day. This insures that almost no food is left untouched (depleting the snails food source) while also insuring the fish have enough food. 

• Like 1