looking for lighting advice for blackwater betta tank

KittenFishMom

I added a lot of IAL to my betta tank when he was acting strange. The betta is doing better, but I never had any lighting other than a plant light over the next tank over. Now the water is very dark and the blue betta is just a black silhouette unless he is very close to the front glass. The plants all look black too, which makes it hard to find the betta when I am doing a head count on that tank.

What sort of light would you recommend for my 10 gallon, blackwater betta's tank? 

I use them with the tape for plant grow out buckets they do fine. In my tanks I shut off all red and blue lights. I only ever use white. It’s a balancing act between water changes to reduce nutrients and light intensity and length. For some reason in all my tank blue lights even for an hour a day will grow mass hair algae in just a few days. 

@Guppysnail There are 2 versions of the clip on light, one for planted and one for non-planted. Which are you using? (Petco's web site has both.)

Does this light work well to bring out the color of fish in black water? My green plants and blue betta just look black, so I am looking for a light that will make it easier to see there color.

Edited by KittenFishMom

@Guppysnail My tanks have lots of snails to work on the algae. Then my big 55 gallon tank had fewer and fewer little snails. I have finally figured out the the bullhead catfish are eating them like peanuts. Now the algae is gaining on me in that tank. I think the catfish are eating a lot of food and snails and scuds. The catfish are growing very fast, and the scuds and snails are disappearing. I am passing the word around that I want to rehome the bullheads to someone else's bigger tank, or a pond, but no takers yet.

• Like 1