Air pump stopped working while hatching BBS

Karen B.

My air pump got disconnected for about 2-4 hours I would guess from my zyst hatchery. My BBS were about to be ready to harvest.

There doesn’t seem to be many dead BBS, so I was wondering if I can still feed them to my fish or it’s better to start a new batch.

Thank you!

If they are still alive I wouldnt worry about it.  I have removed air to let them settle before harvesting just to forget and leave them sitting without air for quite some time. Even if dead they can still be fed and would be similar to feeding frozen baby brine. Just make sure you can separate the brine shrimp from the hatched/unhatched eggs.

• Like 2

@s1_

@Levi_Aquatics

@Guppysnail

Thanks guys! I rinced them, removed as much unhatched eggs as possible (my hatching rate is so terrible I spend almost half an hour sorting it… and even then, when I freeze the rest, so many unhatched eggs are showing in the ice cubes)

And all my fish were happy! Except my betta. They aren’t too sure what to do with this live food. I have very special betta!

• Like 2

Here is an embarrassing admission…for YEARS I thought decapsulated bbs eggs were supposed to be fed to fish but I had no idea you were supposed to hatch them. I also got regular eggs once and fed them unhatched…yeah silly but I didn’t surf the web so didn’t know any better. I never had any I’ll affects from feeding them without even trying to hatch. I still feed whatever doesn’t hatch without problems. I also have the best hatch rate and most of the unlatched float to the top with the Coop ones. They are just better than all the others…when actually hatched 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also try waiting 48 hours. Sometimes it takes mine that long. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 2