Jump to content

Dumb food question... Fluval trippin'?


Brandy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey all... I'm low on food and so I'm shopping. True story (that I wish was not) but my fish LOVE Fluval bug bites. Like crazy pants, look like they have been starving 5 minutest after I just fed them. I don't WANT to take out a second mortgage, but they love what they love...😁

Worse, I can't get them at ACO, and I really don't like buying stuff elsewhere because, well, ACO is awesome, as we all know. Now, I am well aware of WHY the Aquarium Co-op doesn't carry them. I'm not AT ALL asking why, or asking for a change. 

What I DO want to know is what voodoo black magic Fluval is putting in this food?! My fish think it is crack. And really I have weird allergies, so foods NOT including bloodworms matter for me. That's how I got their addiction started...

I'm telling you, I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but their reaction makes me want to start RAISING BLACK SOLDIER FLIES (primary ingredient). I mean, yeah that's a dumb idea for guppies, but pretty sure the cichlids and chickens would be ecstatic.

What flake food do your fish think is crack? Bonus points of it is not made by Fluval...

I guess I should just go back to hatching 5 batches of brine shrimp a week...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anything by hakari works for me and tetra wafer mix. Tetra goldfish flakes get everyone excited which was a surprise.

My fish are not interested in bug bites after everything I'd heard on here I was disappointed with the reaction. I think my fish just like red foods better.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:13 AM, Brandy said:

really I have weird allergies, so foods NOT including bloodworms

Now there is an allergy that would have gone unnoticed if you'd kept any other pet. Hope it wasn't too bad or took to long to figure. 

The thought of raising fly's to feed fish makes me itch but yes your chickens would be delighted. 

I also I worry about fish getting fussy and demanding live foods because I do think they are a big ask when you want a holiday and need a neighbour to feed you fish.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 2:13 AM, Brandy said:

 

I'm telling you, I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but their reaction makes me want to start RAISING BLACK SOLDIER FLIES (primary ingredient). I mean, yeah that's a dumb idea for guppies, but pretty sure the cichlids and chickens would be ecstatic.

 

There is black soldier flies and larvae available, both freeze dried and live. I saw both being sold at a reptile show I went to about a year ago. There was a lot of people buying for dart frogs, from what I was told, they're better than the fruit flies that have been the mainstay food for years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 2:47 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Anything by hakari works for me and tetra wafer mix. Tetra goldfish flakes get everyone excited which was a surprise.

My fish are not interested in bug bites after everything I'd heard on here I was disappointed with the reaction. I think my fish just like red foods better.

Now there is an allergy that would have gone unnoticed if you'd kept any other pet. Hope it wasn't too bad or took to long to figure. 

The thought of raising fly's to feed fish makes me itch but yes your chickens would be delighted. 

I also I worry about fish getting fussy and demanding live foods because I do think they are a big ask when you want a holiday and need a neighbour to feed you fish.

 

My fish also prefer the red flakes, if they have to eat flakes.

 

So, the Xtreme Krill and the Bug Bites color enhancing flakes are the only flakes they will eat.

Great growth on each, and gorgeous colors. I second the Repashy Grub pie, it's the only Repashy that sparked an interest.

@Brandy I hope that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 7:28 AM, Torrey said:

My fish also prefer the red flakes, if they have to eat flakes.

 

So, the Xtreme Krill and the Bug Bites color enhancing flakes are the only flakes they will eat.

Great growth on each, and gorgeous colors. I second the Repashy Grub pie, it's the only Repashy that sparked an interest.

@Brandy I hope that helps.

It is so funny, they loved the bug bites plain colored flakes, and the love the red ones but last time they rolled their little fishy eyes at me over the extreme krill. I like the flakes for the really tiny guys like chili rasbora, and the guppies who should be happy to eat anything I feed them. Mostly everyone else gets Hikari.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...