When to add fish to my 29 gallon planted tank.

CaniLive

Hey y'all, I started this tank about 4 weeks ago. Plants are doing great, growing well, even got what I think is a bladder snail that tagged along on some plants and is laying eggs. Algae is growing but as you can see there is no ammonia. And these have more or less been the parameters everytime I test the water. Nitrate and nitrite are low because I haven't dosed fertilizer in a week. pH is a little high but I just a water change and added some crushed coral so that should go down soon. 

So the fish in thinking of getting are a school of albino neon tetras, a few khuli loaches, and one rainbow shark. My questions are: What should I get first? & When can I put my first fish in?

Please let me know if you need more info, ask me anything. Thank you!

SmartSelect_20220118-172712_Evernote.jpg

SmartSelect_20220118-192439_Gallery.jpg

Edited by CaniLive
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

First off, beautiful tank! I love what you're doing with it's design.

As for when to add fish, the key is making sure that you have both colonies of bacteria built up -- to convert ammonia to nitrite, and then to convert nitrite to nitrate. It may be that your load has been light so far. But the addition of live plants certainly helps to bring that along.

I'd personally probably add a few fish along with some beneficial bacteria from a bottle -- e.g. FritzZyme 7. Dr. Tim's might also have good beneficial bacteria.

Now, I'm going to be honest with you: the Rainbow Shark is one fish that might be concerning. If you're really familiar with the species, and know exactly what you're getting into, then Ok. But I'd be careful.

Maybe add the loach(es) and see how they do for a week. Test the water and make sure everything looks good.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:03 PM, Fish Folk said:

First off, beautiful tank! I love what you're doing with it's design.

As for when to add fish, the key is making sure that you have both colonies of bacteria built up -- to convert ammonia to nitrite, and then to convert nitrite to nitrate. It may be that your load has been light so far. But the addition of live plants certainly helps to bring that along.

I'd personally probably add a few fish along with some beneficial bacteria from a bottle -- e.g. FritzZyme 7. Dr. Tim's might also have good beneficial bacteria.

Now, I'm going to be honest with you: the Rainbow Shark is one fish that might be concerning. If you're really familiar with the species, and know exactly what you're getting into, then Ok. But I'd be careful.

Maybe add the loach(es) and see how they do for a week. Test the water and make sure everything looks good.

I also would like to add that I personally believe rainbow sharks need more space than a 29 gallon. 

Edited by Gannon
  • Like 2

Great looking tank!  I'd also probably start with the kuhli loaches.  They tend to have a very low bioload, so they can be pretty easy on the cycle. 

One tip if you're using the API liquid test kits, be sure you smack around the bottles for the nitrate test like CRAZY before you test.  They form crystals in the bottle, and then you get readings of 0 nitrates forever.  You have to really bang them on the table and then shake the crud out of them before you do the nitrate test.  Ideally you want to see some nitrate (not from fertilizer) at the end of the cycle, but your plants may also just be consuming the nitrate.  Just always like to pass along the bottle smacking tip because it was SO frustrating for me when I was waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for my first tank to cycle.  

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:18 PM, Mandy411 said:

Tank looks great! I think a little clump of anubius nana petite glued where the driftwood stick and little rocks meet in the front would really pop 🙂 Sorry, I know that's not your question, I just reeeally love nana petite, lol.

Thats actually a pretty good idea. I have 3 on the larger piece of wood but I think more would look great as well. 

• Like 1