Endor - Planted low tech Spec V

castiel

After a month long black out a lot of the algae had died off and I've been slowly picking it off as well, today I stopped by my LFS and picked up some Java Fern and a small pot of Hygrophila Kompakt (that's how it was spelled on the little tag) and did a 50% WC on the tank, squeezed out the filter sponge, and took out a bunch of the algae. I got a lot of it out and the tank looks a lot better! Over the next week I'll keep picking out algae (as well as some of the snail shells) but I'm so much happier with the tank now! I wish I had the energy to keep going at it today but given that I have finals next week I decided to err on the side of caution. 

Edit: I forgot! I also used the time to switch the filter plug into a wifi plug so now I can turn it off to do maintenance without pulling my whole desk out which will make upkeep a lot easier.   

IMG_1511.jpg

Edited by castiel
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 6:39 PM, Jungle Fan said:

What no Endor wallpaper background?

This is not the transparent view you're  looking for!

Here are a few free Endor wallpapers that might enhance the feeling that the force is with you and your fish:

https://wallpaperaccess.com/endor

I never even thought about that!! And no fish (yet), just a bunch of snails. 

• Like 1

The best algae eating snails I've had are Nerites, especially the military helmet snails. The algae needs some more competition for the nutrients from the Stratum. Maybe some Cryptocoryne, some Staurogyne repens, and maybe even some Red Root Floaters if you can handle the roots hanging into your diorama. You could also get some Amano shrimp, or any of the Neocaridina varieties, I've got Blue Dream shrimp in my Amazon Jungle tank as you can see in my journal. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:13 PM, Jungle Fan said:

The best algae eating snails I've had are Nerites, especially the military helmet snails. The algae needs some more competition for the nutrients from the Stratum. Maybe some Cryptocoryne, some Staurogyne repens, and maybe even some Red Root Floaters if you can handle the roots hanging into your diorama. You could also get some Amano shrimp, or any of the Neocaridina varieties, I've got Blue Dream shrimp in my Amazon Jungle tank as you can see in my journal. 

I just moved some duckweed and red root floaters over from my backup jar, I had both in there before but once I stopped dosing it slowly died off. I was considering a nerite snail but my LFS was out so that might be a future addition, shrimp will have to wait until I can find a way to keep them out of the filter without hampering the flow as much as it was. The water has been fairly consistent with 0ppm nitrates since I stopped dosing so I think it's more of a substrate issue then a water column issue, it's hard given that the Spec V doesn't really have a lot of "floor space" so it would be very easy to over plant. The two pothos plants I have in it are fairly heavy feeders as well, and the lucky bamboo isn't as much but it's still a consistent feeder. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else with a Spec V / any Spec had their light start turning on by itself? I've woken up several times now to the light turning itself on in the middle of the night. It has been since I plugged the filter into a WiFi plug but they're only on the same surge protector so I'm not sure if that's the case or what. 

On 12/19/2022 at 11:01 AM, castiel said:

Has anyone else with a Spec V / any Spec had their light start turning on by itself? I've woken up several times now to the light turning itself on in the middle of the night. It has been since I plugged the filter into a WiFi plug but they're only on the same surge protector so I'm not sure if that's the case or what. 

Can you show a photo of the setup with the wifi plug?  The light plugs into the wifi plug, the plug plugs into one outlet on the surge protector?  Pump has it's own outlet separate from the wifi timer?

I would also look into a short, loose wire, or the plug itself getting shorted out (the quick disconnect near the LED strip at the lid)

If it's within warranty, email fluval also.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Can you show a photo of the setup with the wifi plug?  The light plugs into the wifi plug, the plug plugs into one outlet on the surge protector?  Pump has it's own outlet separate from the wifi timer?

I would also look into a short, loose wire, or the plug itself getting shorted out (the quick disconnect near the LED strip at the lid)

If it's within warranty, email fluval also.

I can get a picture later, I'm home sick today so can't really move my desk out by myself. The light is plugged directly into the surge protector, the filter is the one on a WiFi plug so I can turn it off for cleaning and mucking around in the tank. They're both plugged into the same surge protector. I don't see anything loose or out of place on the light end of the wire so if it is something wire related it's on the other end. 

On 12/19/2022 at 11:11 AM, castiel said:

I can get a picture later, I'm home sick today so can't really move my desk out by myself. The light is plugged directly into the surge protector, the filter is the one on a WiFi plug so I can turn it off for cleaning and mucking around in the tank. They're both plugged into the same surge protector. I don't see anything loose or out of place on the light end of the wire so if it is something wire related it's on the other end. 

Ah understood.  Please feel better!

Setup sounds fine.  I also use the wifi timers just to have a button for on/off.

I am guessing the lid has a slight disconnect on the wire (strained or accidentally pulled outward with the lid dropping or something).  I would go ahead and email fluval and try to get a warranty claim or replacement set.  You could also check ebay or something for spare parts potentially.  Those tanks are pretty specific, so while I can't say it doesn't exist, potentially you can get a glass replacement top and a standard light.

• Thanks 1