Endor - Planted low tech Spec V

castiel

5 Gallon Fluval Spec 

For my first tank back to the hobby I wanted to do another nano tank since that's what I'm familiar with, and also living at home easier to talk my family into, and decided to go with the Spec because I like how sleek it looks and it fits on my desk with room for my school notebooks for when I'm in classes. 

Originally I was going to do a completely plant and driftwood tank but then I found a cool Star Wars AT-AT aquarium decoration on Amazon and decided to do a themed tank. The overall goal is a lush green tank (while still low tech) so it looks like an overgrown lush forest with the AT-AT as the only non natural element in it. Unsure if I'm going to stock anything in it or leave it just plants but if anything I may do some Neocaridina once the tank is established.  

I decided to use Fluval Stratum because I've heard good things about it and I like how it looks. 

Plants I'm for sure adding and already have in my possession are Monte Carlo, Crypt Wendtii Green, and Pogo Stellatus Octopus. 

Plants I'm considering are Java Fern, Anubias Nana petite, and possibly some type of floater. I'm open to suggestions. 

The tank is still settling from being filled but I thought I'd include anyway. The light was only put on it for the picture which is why it's a bit crooked, and the angle I was taking the picture at seemed to catch the blue LED's more than the white ones it doesn't have a background on it, though I am considering a black one. 

image.png

Edited by castiel
Updated thumbnail
  • Like 3

And we have plants!
Planting in a tank even with tools is not as easy as it looks and I applaud y'all that create such amazing pieces of art, my focus ended up mainly being on getting the plants to stay where I was putting them. I didn't originally plan to put any of the octopus in the wood but those two didn't have a lot of root buildup and I didn't want them to get tangled in any of the others if I left them to float so we'll see how this turns out. The Monte Carlo I was hesitant to plant out of the container and so I've done my best to replicate the instructions on the website for planting it in the pot but my substrate wasn't quite deep enough so I improvised. 

I just finished planting and the tank hasn't settled but I was too excited not to post it. 

271750652_2065625683600257_4293904945638415256_n.jpg

On 1/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, Redwing RC said:

Setting up a shrimp and guppy planted tank. I have Fluval Stratum and also the Eco-complete co-op recommended. Should I mix the 2 or place the Stratum on the bottom with a cap of Eco-Complete on top?

Bentley Pascoe recommends either mixing them, or layering them in lasagna method, with a layer of half the stratum on the bottom, the eco complete on the middle, the the other half of the stratum on top. I am using the lasagna method and am liking it. Some is getting mixed up as I move things around, but not too much. 

Went to a LFS and big box store to grab some stuff for the tank today. Didn't end up getting anything at the LFS since they were low on plants but it was cool getting to see some new species in person, at the big box store I grabbed a thermometer, filter media, and ended up impulse buying some lucky bamboo I put in the filter. I also finally put the AT-AT decoration in the tank and I'm super happy with how it's turning out. The driftwood on the decoration is still sinking I just have it stuck there so it doesn't crush the octopus. 

271770840_2143196579172201_528327900261124987_n.jpg

• Like 2

Not really any updates since Saturday except I've added a nano Co-Op sponge behind the Monte Carlo (for anyone wondering, it's too powerful with an airstone for a Spec because the water will hit the light. Without an airstone it's the right amount of flow).

The wood over the AT-AT is still there and I can't tell if its sinking or stuck there but I kind of like it so I might leave it regardless. I've been considering cutting out half of the sponge that came with the tank in the filter to consolidate the media a bit more as well as make it easier to root the bamboo. I also got an Eheim Jager 50w in but I can't decide if I want to put it in the tank yet since I've bumped the lighting up a bit and the tank is staying warmer during the day but depending on what I stock it with I might need it.

The crypt is still melting back but the octopus has colored back up and the Monte Carlo has already sent off some new growth which I'm happy about. Hoping to make it to my LFS this weekend to maybe grab another plant for the tank but I haven't decided yet, plus I'll have to see what they have. 

• 3 weeks later...

No picture update since I've been dealing with a really ugly diatom outbreak but besides that the tank is coming along really nicely. I bought some spiderwood for the tank which didn't actually end up fitting with the plants and decoration so I put in a piece of Mopani wood I had from my last tanks, I'm unsure of what I'm going to stock the tank with, originally my plan was Neocaridina but after seeing Lamp Eye Killi in person I'm tempted to do a small group of them as well, though either way it'll be a while before anything gets added. 

• 2 weeks later...

I posted in "What have you got done today" but not here, a few days ago I went to another LFS and ended up coming home with a bunch of duckweed, some bladder snails, and a pothos clipping. The duckweed and bladder snails are both in the tank but the pothos is currently in a vase while I wait for roots. I was a little nervous adding snails because I wasn't 100% sure the tank was fully cycled (they tagged along with the duckweed their addition wasn't planned) but it's the third day of them being in there and still 0 ammonia so that's promising. Also went to my usual LFS today and got to see the Neocaridina's they have in (red cherry's, Sakura grade) so I don't think I'll have much trouble if I do get fire reds like I've been planning I shouldn't have any trouble rehoming any extras, expressly since I used to sell guppies to them and have a good relationship with the owners. So the stocking of Endor is almost 100% going to be fire red Neo's. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 7:35 PM, Guppysnail said:

Bladder snails infest waste water treatment plants. They will be fine. I find my pothos clippings root quicker in the tank. When I do it in a vase sometimes they don’t take but in the tank they always do. Hope that helps. Love the tank. 

I don't really have a way to attach the pothos to the tank yet which is why it's in the vase, it's in tank water that I've topped off since then but if I don't see a root starting soon I'll figure something out to get it in the tank. 

I'm glad you like the tank! I'm super happy with how it's coming along so far and now that this diatom outbreak seems to be curbing back (expressly with help from The Roombas as my family has nicknamed the snails) so I should be able to post more pictures soon. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately found one of the Roomba adults floating today and it had indeed not made it. I'm not really sure what happened since there's plenty of food and the parameters are still the same 0/0/20 but it was the larger of the two adults so I'm thinking it may have been older. 

Just did a 20% water change since the diatoms are dying off to get rid of them as well as took out half the duckweed, the tank is looking really good and the growth on all the plants is great expressly the Octopus and Crypt. Also noticed at least 4 egg pods from the bladder snails as well as a bunch of babies which is exciting, also managed to break one of my syphons but luckily I had a spare that actually worked better. 

I don't have any before pictures but here is what it looks like after. I'm going to do another small water change in the morning to get another chunk of it, I'm mainly leaving the stuff on the glass for the Roombas to eat. 274856922_827016121588450_7823661929148019759_n.jpg.4183d11a13d929ce10a302b4a36e1937.jpg

• Like 1

I have decided from now on all water changes will be done via turkey baster because it's so much easier since the tank is on my desk and it's just much easier to maneuver and I spill less. And I'm less likely to suck up a snail that way. I'm still figuring out how to get the lighting to work for taking pictures without a huge glare but in the meantime here is one of the now adult Roomba's who I'm pretty sure is actually a ramshorn snail not a bladder snail but it's not quite big enough for me to tell yet. 275063688_945164122805532_5792952564337809503_n.jpg.dbd2f56c4269c6e64687c606059e195c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I swear the plants have all doubled in size. I'm actually going to be trimming back the octopus to allow for some more new growth. Also added a pair of MTS and am planning to order some different color Ramshorns. I've also decided the stocking of the tank will be fire red neo's but I'm going to wait for the weather where I am to clear up a bit before ordering (so delivery trucks stop getting stuck in the mud). Most of glare is just from the light but the tank is in need of a cleaning but I wanted to show off how it looks. 276973835_4899192943495849_3743023817778893793_n.jpg.b6fa432e6e61b02b948806f2f26fbc04.jpg

• 5 months later...

Long time no see everyone! It's been a while since I've hopped on the form. I've been fighting a major algae outbreak in the tank and haven't been able to get it balanced back out so I'm thinking of breaking the tank down and starting over. I'll most likely keep the same layout, I just need to remove as much as possible since changing the light/nutrient levels doesn't seem to be working. A little picture to show how bad it's gotten in the last few weeks since I had time to do in depth maintenance. 
 image.png.0c1c3dab12993da3a3d6df57bf54f50b.png

• Confused 1