Ammonia Wont Go Down - PLZ HELP

MICRO-TANKER

I had a fluval 9 that just wouldn't cycle. Except when it finally did and was then very robust. It simply took longer than I intended since I added more fish than I should have. I did what @xXInkedPhoenixX mentions to do above. Kept cool, test regularly and small water changes if it rises much above .5 or .75.ppm. Personally, I think the term "crashed" has too much of a "do over" ring to it. Your cycle is simply playing catch up right now. Basically treat it as a fish-in cycle, that means proactive monitoring. You're gonna be fine and so are your fish, it will all settle down once a few more days and/or weeks have passed.

My one specific thought is to monitor your neons closely. They can sometimes be a bit temperamental to water parameters. Mine turned out to be bullet proof but I've read that others have issues with ich and neon tetra disease. Mine had ich from the pet store but shook that off with some Ich-X easily. Again, good luck and hang in there.

• Like 4

@MICRO-TANKER you do need to do as Phoenix says. That's why fish in cycles take so long. Water changes will slow down the cycling process and it may take over a month but you HAVE to do it or your levels will get too high and kill the fish. That's why fishless cycles are faster and easier. No lives to worry about so you can let levels go crazy. You can dose Prime up to 5x the dose.  Put prime in 1 dose for every 1 ammonia and 1 nitrite rounding up. Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours and will save your fishes lives. 

Yes, that is correct. Thing is your work isn't necessarily done then either, after ammonia is at 0 you have to make sure Nitrite is also 0- this would also require water changes as this is also toxic and basically step 2 of cycling. When/if Nitrite is at 0 and you start reading NITRATE things are good again. 🙂 

• Like 1

Honestly, the reason he says that and it's a good one is so the fish don't create MORE ammonia by peeing/pooping. So yes, not feeding every day is a good thing. Every 2 or 3 days is fine. I personally fed every day but I feed very, very sparingly anyway and I was doing water changes every day when I crashed a cycle so I felt at the time like it wasn't going to make THAT much of a difference plus hopefully keep my fish happy. Fish can actually go many days without feeding. It will definitely help your situation to not do it every day. 

• Like 2

@MICRO-TANKER here's the thing. In your case you are doing a fish-in cycle. It is going to take a very long time for the ammonia to go down. In no way can you expect it to happen in days or even a week. You really need to understand the nitrogen cycle. In order for the ammonia levels to fully go down, you need a good population of bacteria. That doesn't happen very quickly. You can speed it up with things like bacteria in a bottle and filter media from an established tank, but that won't fix it over night. I've been there. Fish in cycles are a long and stressful process. Keep doing daily testing, water changes, and dosing prime to help the health of your fish. Limiting feedings also helps but it's not going to be the silver bullet until you get enough bacteria eating that ammonia. Before you have that bacteria you have nothing helping you get rid of the ammonia. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 1:26 PM, Fish Folk said:

Maybe you killed off your bacteria colony. Anyone you know keep a sponge filter?

So… there’s risks in this, but I’m crazy. Here what I’d do:

If your LFS keeps sponge filters, ask if you can buy a new one, and exchange it for a used one from their tanks. So you walk out with a primed, bacteria-drenched sponge filter in a plastic bag full of tank water. Bring home. Plug in to an air pump. Voilà… instantly cycled.

I second this ^. 

On 3/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, MICRO-TANKER said:

Haven't had an update in a while.... it is fully cycled! All the fish are doing well. I would like to just thank everyone for the support!

NM my last comment. Happy to hear this!

• Like 1