5-gallon stocking ideas

Native Keeper

Hi everyone!

recently my mother's female Crowntail betta lost to Dropsy, so now the 5 gallon she lived in is empty. We still have to finish cleaning it out, but my question is this:

What fish would you recommend for a 5 gallon? Here are some chareristics she likes in fish:

schooling fish, preferably one small enough to where we could have 8+ in the tank.

active, not standing still

Iridescent

If you know a fish that fills out at least 2 of these characterisitcs and can live in a 5 gallon for it's entire life, pls lemme know!

There are a few that come immediately to mind. 

1. Ember tetras (they are small and very easy to care for).

2. Celestial pearl danios (a little expensive and they require live or frozen food but they are absolutley stunning. 

3. Green neon tetras (Imagine small neon Tetras with no red)

4. If she's interested you could look into a Neocaradina  shrimp colony.

Edited by Dwayne Brown
Spelling error
  • Like 4

I agree with @Dwayne Brownon celestial pearl danios (galaxay rasbora if youre in the UK), gorgeous fish that look like little speckled trout. I see them for around $6.99 usd here. 

I almost walked out of my LFS with 20 embers yesterday too so another solid choice. They are so tiny and vibrantly colored. 

For bottom dwelling, maybe a few pgymy corydoras (c. pygmaeus)?

A colorful nerite snail may be a cool addition too.

Edited by 813aquatics
  • Like 2

Just make sure that the 5 gallon is stocked with plants so that the water parameters stay stable. Even a couple lucky bamboo will soak up nutrients and waste. 

not only is it beneficial for the water but providing cover for small timid fish will help bring out their natural behavior and colors

I like @Dwayne Brown list, some exclamation point rasbora are what I had in my 5 gallon in college. They were tons of fun and can have an iridescent sheen when happy.

• Like 2

All of the nano fish suggested so far would do well. Personally I would do CPDs and blue dream shrimp in a heavily planted tank. Add some ramshorn snails and an amano or two and you've got a sick tank that would also scale well if she were to want to move to a larger tank one day.