Planted angel and rummy nose 55 gallon

Mydonkeyfish

I am setting up a planted 55 gallon tank and I plan to stock it with angel fish and rummy nose tetras. I might make it blackwater. What are your thoughts and what plants should i use. I have extra pearl weed and a bunch of frogbit, red root floaters, salvinia and dwarf water lettuce.

I just got the stand and it is all wood and is 56 inches long.

• Like 1

here's a list of South American plants that would likely do well in this tank:

Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata

Bacopa monnieri 

Cryptocoryne wendtii green

Anubias barteri

Echinodorus "Red Flame" Sword Plant

lloydeiella

Echinodorus angustifolia Vesuvius 

Anubias nana 

Most of the plants listed are carried by Aquarium Coop, but for the some they don't carry, check here.

• Like 4

I like having Java fern attached to some driftwood, I have a pair of angels that will spawn on the Java fern and then all I have to do is remove that leaf if I wish to raise the fry! 

I have crypts in the front of my tank and now 1.5 years later it has grown in a bit and looks very very nice  I’m really enjoying crypts in every tank I have  

I also have a 55 gal with angels, but I went with cardinal tetras for my tank. My tetras enjoy having some plant cover to hide in. 

• Like 3

On 1/18/2022 at 3:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

If you haven’t  already bought the tank I’d consider a 75 gallon. It’s the same length and height as the 55 and only 5” deeper. 

I would get one but the 55 is 100 dollars and the 75 is 175 dollars and i dont want to spend 75 dollars on 15 gallons

On 1/18/2022 at 12:46 PM, Mydonkeyfish said:

I would get one but the 55 is 100 dollars and the 75 is 175 dollars and i dont want to spend 75 dollars on 15 gallons

They often have a 1/2 off sale on Aqueon tanks. I bought my 75 for $100 (1/2 off sale plus another stacked discount for buying online) Maybe someone on the forum knows when the next on is happening. 

• Like 2

What kind of angel fish should i get? I have seen the koi angels in my lfs and they are beautiful but i was wondering what other types you guys like.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:24 PM, Patrick_G said:

They often have a 1/2 off sale on Aqueon tanks. I bought my 75 for $100 (1/2 off sale plus another stacked discount for buying online) Maybe someone on the forum knows when the next on is happening. 

I have been looking because i bought my first 55 for 150 dollars and the 55 is on sale right now for 50 dollars off.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:53 AM, HydraSlayer said:

here's a list of South American plants that would likely do well in this tank:

Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata

Bacopa monnieri 

Cryptocoryne wendtii green

Anubias barteri

Echinodorus "Red Flame" Sword Plant

lloydeiella

Echinodorus angustifolia Vesuvius 

Anubias nana 

Most of the plants listed are carried by Aquarium Coop, but for the some they don't carry, check here.

These are certainly plants that would likely do well in this tank but they are definitely not all from South American.

Anubias are from central and western Africa, Cryptocoryne are all from Asia and some nearby countries, and Lloydiella/Lysimachia is native to Central Europe.  Check out “The Crypt Pages” for great info on Crypts including pages listed by country of origin.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:33 PM, HydraSlayer said:

@Odd Duck, I guess I should've done further research. I knew that some Anubias came from Africa, I just figured some may also be located in South America. Gotta double check everything, I guess.

I’ve found incorrect location listings, or other incorrect info, even on sites that I usually trust their information.  When I was reading up on appropriate plants for an angelfish biotope tank, I kept finding sites that listed Cryptocoryne usteriana as being from South America.  When I finally just looked at Wikipedia it had a more appropriate answer, then I found “The Crypt Pages” and solidly confirmed it (Phillipines).  A lot of retail sites just copy and paste from somebody else.  So if one site publishes incorrect info, the others often just go with it and don’t double check sources.

So now I have a nice bunch of young Crypt usteriana growing out from tissue culture because I ordered way ahead of when I would need it for my South American pseudo-biotopish angelfish tank.  I wanted them well grown by the time the tank was ready.  The more I got to thinking about it the next morning after I finally got to sleep that night (a little late night insomnia, net surfing, AND unfortunate purchasing).  I just couldn’t get it out of my mind that Crypts are only from parts of Asia and surrounding areas/countries. I should have trusted my gut instead of what I wanted to believe that I could use this nice tall Crypt for height and stay true to at least South American origin.  😝  I suspect we’ve all been fooled before and I even knew better on this one!  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 7:57 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve found incorrect location listings, or other incorrect info, even on sites that I usually trust their information.  When I was reading up on appropriate plants for an angelfish biotope tank, I kept finding sites that listed Cryptocoryne usteriana as being from South America.  When I finally just looked at Wikipedia it had a more appropriate answer, then I found “The Crypt Pages” and solidly confirmed it (Phillipines).  A lot of retail sites just copy and paste from somebody else.  So if one site publishes incorrect info, the others often just go with it and don’t double check sources.

So now I have a nice bunch of young Crypt usteriana growing out from tissue culture because I ordered way ahead of when I would need it for my South American pseudo-biotopish angelfish tank.  I wanted them well grown by the time the tank was ready.  The more I got to thinking about it the next morning after I finally got to sleep that night (a little late night insomnia, net surfing, AND unfortunate purchasing).  I just couldn’t get it out of my mind that Crypts are only from parts of Asia and surrounding areas/countries. I should have trusted my gut instead of what I wanted to believe that I could use this nice tall Crypt for height and stay true to at least South American origin.  😝  I suspect we’ve all been fooled before and I even knew better on this one!  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Since the aquarium trade has introduced flora and fauna around the globe, a biotope build could technically still be accurate. Just label the crypt as an invasive species 🤔😅

On 1/19/2022 at 2:29 AM, Torrey said:

Since the aquarium trade has introduced flora and fauna around the globe, a biotope build could technically still be accurate. Just label the crypt as an invasive species 🤔😅

You’re not wrong but I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at your accuracy.  😝 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 8:50 AM, Odd Duck said:

You’re not wrong but I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at your accuracy.  😝 

Welcome to living with strong Indigenous influences: the most depressing truths get the loudest laughter.

I never understood why, until this past year.... and I have learned to laugh right along with my extended and chosen family. 🧘‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1