Urban Birds....(post your pics too)

On 1/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, Patrick_G said:

I was going to guess that too, just because it’s quite a bit more common at PNW backyard feeders, but I agree, it could be a Coopers. 

Cooper’s does seem a bit more likely compared to the width of the fence boards.  I just wanted to point out the comparison should be made with the sharp-shinned.  I have to see them in person to tell them apart.

• Like 1

That looks very much like a cooper's hawk to me. We have one in our wooded yard I see now and then (it was sitting on a bench outside the back door the other day and I scared it when I opened the door). Very cool you were able to photograph it!

We also have a mated pair of great horned owls I hear in the evenings. I have yet to get a sighting of them, but a few nights ago one was on the roof and I could hear its hooting through the chimney - it was so loud! There's also a cell tower behind our house that is a perch for a group of turkey vultures. Sometimes they roost in the trees around the house at night. Always so neat to see the local wildlife!

• Like 3

@Odd Duck I did take a look at the sharp shinned last night when @Fish Folk and I were going back and forth it came up as an alternate search and you're right they look VERY similar. Then I woke up this morning and saw some more back and forth on the thread. Fish Folk posted the feather tail comparison. In the 3rd pic at the beginning It's squared and notched (Sharpie), in the video I can clearly see white tips (Coopers). I'm wondering though if I've caught TWO species in my backyard because I feel like my 2018 pic is a different bird than all the other pics!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I found ONE more google video it's a minute long (and catches me talking to my cat he's right behind me on the cat tree this day) At this time I wasn't sure if it was a hawk or a falcon but I think I pretty quickly determined it was more likely a hawk at least in my area. Completely fearless as I'm standing right in front of my slider door. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Kf2y8VxFQywpaVHA Have your kid watch that one @Fish Folk 😉 

• 2 months later...

Been meaning to post this but have been preoccupied. My little friend returned March 9th. Brought to my attention while I sat in my chair watching tv, as you do I didn't want to move for a clearer picture and scare them off so the video and pics below taken through a screen door. Video link through google for those who can view it. Stuck around for a whopping 2 mins and some seconds: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AsiCrnnS53yakxNq5

20220326_1016041.jpg.0ee217d18c90c697b48708c0c3a2bac6.jpg

• Love 1