Urban Birds....(post your pics too)

Lots of us are lucky enough to live in beautiful country and I've seen some great threads from them. Well, I live in the middle of an urban city. Of course we have wildlife. I feed the local House Sparrow and Mourning Dove population by throwing seed out on the ground every morning. I have during this time a year 30 or so Doves waiting for me on the power lines in the morning and dozens of Sparrows. My patio is covered and over the fence there is a meyer lemon tree they hide in so the birds have a very quick get away from the resident predatory birds. This is one of my semi-regular visitors- she has nevery caught anyone to my knowledge and is usually quite irritated by it (my phone pics suck but this is what I have in the moment and they are quick shots thru my slider door)! The 3rd pic is a prior visit but the first 2 are from last week, she was telling me how she felt about things and was filing a complaint.

20220117_1933091.jpg

Resized_20220117_193047(2).jpg

20220117_1938331.jpg

• Love 1

On 1/17/2022 at 11:25 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Sacramento @Fish Folk

Working on this . . . could be wrong. It's definitely some accipiter. Maybe not catching its prey yet because it is still young.

Or perhaps it's been somehow displaced. According to this map, a Northern Goshawk would be very rare in the city proper...

187066612_ScreenShot2022-01-17at11_31_36PM.png.db79955d63ec2e7af84161c880828241.png

Well just based on that it's a high probability @Fish Folk They are rather common around here and I see them on the tops of streetlights pretty often. I live in an older part of the city so the house lots are bigger, there's about a half acre behind me, I'm sure they get somebody from time to time but not from my patio. Thanks for helping to ID, you are likely right about it being a Cooper

I just feel like mine aren't quite as pretty as those pictures. I guess that's what the poor things get for living in a city! 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:33 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'm not positive what she might be @Fish Folk not quite like the goshawk you've pointed out. Pretty sure she's a hawk though.

She and the older pic (pretty sure the older pic is an adult) are more dingy colored. Super bright yellow legs and a striped tail. Nothing super high contrast in color.

Also look up a sharp-shinned hawk and see if that fits.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 9:27 AM, laritheloud said:

Are the sharp-shinned hawks the very small species? We once had a very, very small hawk (like maybe a a jay or a crow, if that) show up in our driveway, once. If it's a bigger species I'd lean Cooper's.

In general terms, yes: Sharpies are smaller than Coop’s. BUT! In these Hawk species, the FEMALES are much larger than the males. So a small male Coop’s vs. a large female Sharpie throws it up in the air a bit.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

Also look up a sharp-shinned hawk and see if that fits.

I was going to guess that too, just because it’s quite a bit more common at PNW backyard feeders, but I agree, it could be a Coopers. 

Edited by Patrick_G