Using bottom rack of Imagitatium Tank stand

missriss126

Hi guys! In my quest to maximize surfaces to put tanks (MTS is very real!) I was wondering if people successfully keep tanks on the lower level of the Petco Imagitarium fish tank stands. 

I will include a picture from petco. I cut some scrap wood down that I could use to support the ends of tanks; was thinking 2 10 gallons or a 20 long would work nicely on the bottom rack. 

5B3A04C4-1DC6-4ABE-80DD-48E40637FE4F.jpeg

0C671AE5-E224-4641-94E7-7BE26A049C36.jpeg

On 1/17/2022 at 3:21 PM, MickS77 said:

I have 3 tens underneath a 40 breeder Petco Imagitarium stand. I cut a piece plywood to fit across the bottom bars to support them. Works great for MTS. 

Awesome, I think I have a sheet of plywood in the garage I could use for that. What thickness did you choose for the plywood?

On 1/17/2022 at 2:51 PM, Colu said:

You just have to make sure the stand can take the extra weight on the bottom of the stand

It is made of the same material, just missing the middle support braces, so I'm guessing if I can add the extra support via beams,  a sheet of plywood, etc, it might work out. Especially for smaller tanks.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:23 PM, missriss126 said:

Awesome, I think I have a sheet of plywood in the garage I could use for that. What thickness did you choose for the plywood?

I only feel comfortable putting tanks on 3/4 hardwood plywood.  Not OSB plywood (oriented strand board). OSD plywood is susceptible to warping. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Just be aware if you rely on gravity for your gravel vac and keeping low tanks can be hard work.

If you use a python it won't be same issue

Thanks, I recently purchased myself a power head to help with water changes, none of my sinks are easily adapted to use the Python. 

On 1/17/2022 at 3:37 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

I have a 29 gal under my 40 breeder using that stand. The tank isn't actually resting on the bottom rack, though, it's resting on a thick piece of wood on the floor (you can see it behind my tortoise).

PXL_20210821_171533148_MP.jpg.a94c9af2969bbb6cb78ae1e1d61fcc79.jpg

I love that pic of your tortoise watching the fish! That tank looks lovely, too. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Just be aware if you rely on gravity for your gravel vac and keeping low tanks can be hard work.

If you use a python it won't be same issue

I found that out the hard way on my smaller stand. Luckily, it's a small tank.   My larger stand bottom shelf is filled with storage containers for that reason too. 

• Like 1