Compatibility Question: Apistos and Honey Gourami?

missriss126

I have taken the lead on stocking and scaping our current tanks (55, 20H, 2 10 gal) so I gifted my wife a 20 long that is completely under her control. 
We visited our LFS and she really enjoyed both the apisto agassizii fire red and the honey gourami.

My first thought was they should be okay, but didn’t want to commit until I could talk to more people and see if anyone had experience with these who fish in a community tank. Would these work? 

I can’t speak for the Apistogramma but my Honey Gourami are gentle and passive. They also prefer the upper potions of the tank and more or less ignore most of their tank mates. Even if you don’t end up getting some for your wife I’d recommend them if you have space in another tank. 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:13 PM, HydraSlayer said:

in a 20, no, that would likely overload the bioload. I'd say only one of those in the 20.

besides that, I think it would be fine, just mkeep an eye on the Apisto to make sure he doesn't chase the honey around, since Apistos can be territorial.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the bioload and possible territorial behavior.
I think she would have more fun with the apistos, she is very drawn to their behavior vs the gourami were "oh those are pretty" type of reaction.