My bettas coloring has drastically changed in the last 24-48 hours. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Goldie Blue

My sweet Goldie Blue has always had a deep blue colored body, and over the last 24 to 48 hours his color has changed drastically. He's been on the same food for two months, water parameters are all normal. I have not added and fish or made any changes since late November when I had a huge tank issue that is now resolved. The only thing new is I bought the Easy Green fert and put it in for the first time on Monday with my water change. 

I am adding pictures, because I don't know if he is ill or if this is normal. He is also eating just fine and active. First pic is how he's always looked, second and third and from last night and this morning. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. 

GB1.jpg

GB2.jpg

GB3.jpg

Are there any other symptoms or anything out of the ordinary you have been noticing, that will be helpful to try and narrow it down?

Drastic color changes can be from numerous things: stress, environment changes, injury (recent fin rot), illness, old age, or having a marble betta.

Here is also a helpful article for an additional resource: https://aquanswers.com/why-is-my-betta-fish-losing-color/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How old is the betta?  I think it's easy to first try to rule out easy green.  While it's supposed to be harmless, it is the last thing you added that changed his environment.  Perhaps it was a change that stressed him out.  Just a guess. 

It's hard to tell with the pictures, but is it changing to a greyish color?  Or another bright color?    If the latter, it could so be a natural color change. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:08 PM, Fishy101 said:

Are there any other symptoms or anything out of the ordinary you have been noticing, that will be helpful to try and narrow it down?

He has been acting normal, even with the color issue going on. Eating the same, acting the same. Everyone in the tank is acting normal as well.

The only thing that changed was the Easy Green dose on Monday.

I did a 30% water change last night. It is a 55g, and there are only 6 white clouds in there with him, 1 pleco, and 2 snails. 

I have had him since May of 2021, and other than his colors darkening and becoming more shiny with high quality foods, he has looked the same in that top pic for 8 months. Would he change colors like this for no bad reason?

I just tested the water, and am posting the pics for advise. Our pH usually sits this high and it's never been a problem. Do the Nitrates look too high? 

IMG_20220115_193612.jpg

IMG_20220115_193624.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 7:27 PM, Gideyon said:

How old is the betta?

I have had him since May of 2021. His cup said he was a Halfmoon, and someone at a local store said he was a mustard gas betta? I am embarrassed to say I don't know much about it. 

On 1/15/2022 at 7:32 PM, Pinky said:

could it be a marble betta?

I honestly don't know other than the Halfmoon label that was on his cup. This came out of nowhere in the last 48 hours, I am really at a loss here. He has brine shrimp and bloodworms once or twice a week, plus fluval bug bites and his green gro & color enhancing pellets he gets daily from Aquatic Foods. He's been on this diet for as long as I have had him, nothing has changed in that way. 

I posted the water test results I just took in the photos above if anyone has advice. Thank you so much!

Look up marblie genes in bettas, if everything is otherwise healthy and hes not showing signs of distres, and only patches of color change i think thats a likely answer. These marble genes pop up randomly, and can change a fishes color in a very shoert amount of time. the blotches also match up with what i have seen on other fish in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he is acting normal and still eating that is good, therefore it is likely a marble betta. A big sign to confirm this besides the color change right now is to look at his eyes. It is a little hard to tell but in the first photo are they more black, and now they have a hint of a vibrant blue?

Changing eye color is also part of this marbling process. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:59 PM, Fishy101 said:

A big sign to confirm this besides the color change right now is to look at his eyes.

That is so crazy. I am crossing my fingers that this is what is going on. I turned the lights out for tonight but I will check in the morning at his eyes. Do you think the water parameters above look ok then? Also, thank you!

On 1/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, Fishy101 said:

let us know how he is in the morning

He's still acting just fine and eating like a little piggy, looks a little more marble today, and I do indeed think his one eye is turning blue. I read a whole bunch about the marble jumping gene in bettas last night, it's wild! 

I'm pretty sure that is what is going on, this guy keeps me on my toes. Though now I'm considering changing his name from Goldie Blue to Bob Marbley 🤣

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me out with this. I had no idea! 

IMG_20220116_143622.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:19 PM, Chad said:

Also glad he's doing well. I've been following this post and just shaking my head. I've also heard of this happening but never seen it shown and catalogued. Thanks for sharing this so well.

I guess it's a good thing I take so many pictures of him lol. I'm in awe as well. I was preparing myself for his death, this was very unexpected, in a good way of course! 

Here he is today, turning more and more vibrant blue again. Most of the white/gold spots on his head and body are now black again. I really don't know what is going on, but he's kept his appetite and energy this whole time. Maybe he is a marble? Maybe he was sick? I have no idea at this point, but it's been nuts to watch. I love his grumpy face, that's all I know. 

IMG_20220126_124205.jpg