Help! Dragonfly nymphs?

JessTheMess92

So I have been seeing what I thought was the dead body of an insect floating at the top of my water. I just assumed it was a bug that got trapped under the lid so I'd take it out. Now I think it was actually molts. I was looking at my tank and saw what im pretty sure was a dragonfly nymph. It was on a leaf i grabbed my net and when i tried to catch it it crawled off and i couldn't find it. Im not sure how to get rid of it but even worse i have my shrimp coming in in like a week. right now it's just bladder snails and plants in the tank. Does anyone know anything i can do to get rid of this(these?) thing(s)? This is the first time I've noticed it and it's pretty freaking big like maybe inch and a half. Also I couldn't get a picture sorry. 

Definitely want to solve that before the shrimp arrive. Damsels and dragonflies are different, the latter being the worse of the two. Most methods of killing them are harmful to your aquatic friends (chitin, CO2, copper, etc). 

Physical removal is best when possible.  

Lots of info here:

https://aquariumbreeder.com/dragonfly-and-damselfly-nymphs-aliens-in-a-shrimp-tank/

On 10/9/2020 at 1:38 AM, KoolFish97 said:

Do you have any photos? I only ask as I Identify aquatic insects for part of my Uni degree I could help to make sure it's either a molt or body and try to make sure if it's a dangerous or not insect for your aquarium life. 

Only just offering! 😊

I finally caught one I had to tear down my whole tank. I caught like 7

20201011_205222.jpg

Yes that's definantly a Odonata (dragonfly nymph).

I'd agree manual removal as painful as it was is the best decision as I've seen many of the chemicals go south quickly. 

Unfortunate but all part of aquarium keeping. Always curious how they came in. Plants? On a fish? Dragonfly laid in your tank? Devour? Always curious.