Turns out crazy cool swordtails are crazy expensive!

Levi_Aquatics

Uh, no. Way too pricey for me. An interesting tidbit, some of the male swordtails with the excessive finnage develop unusable gonopodiums. They can't mate. Breeders typically keep a more "normal" male for breeding purposes. 
If you buy a pair at $57 and think, "I'll breed them and make a killing!" You might just find yourself with an impotent male. Oops! 

• Like 4

@gardenman I believe they had normal gonopodiums. I do have some ribbon fin guppies that I have noticed can’t reproduce however I was fortunate enough to get a male of that strain without ribbon fins so I was  able to breed them. I was tempted for a second to buy them but $57 was too much for a pair IMO. They were certainly beautiful to look at though. 

If I wanted a colony of those fish, I wouldn't balk at the price, assuming they can actually reproduce. $57 is not pocket change but if they can breed, $57 will provide a lifetime supply of that fish, instead of a few hours' worth of taking my  kids out for pizza or 1/2 of a ticket to an event at the local music venue. What if the fish die? Well, how many bad dinners or cheesy movies have I paid for? It's the luck of the draw and I can make another $57 tomorrow--I'm chock full of plasma, lol.

I'm not personally a fan of fish whose eyes are the same red color as their body, so I would not spend $57 on those particular fish, but would I spend it on the guppies in Chris Lukhaup's Instagram post a few days ago? YES I would! https://www.instagram.com/p/CYjbxNEBSRd/

• Like 2

Definitely not something I'd invest that much money in, unless I was planning to breed them for sale. On a personal note, I LOVE swordtails, but I do NOT like red-eyed ones. That said, even if those had black eyes AND the males CAN breed, I still wouldn't pay that much for them. (I made the lyretail swordtails mistake many years ago - didn't realize the males couldn't breed.) Gorgeous body color, though.

• Like 1